Bowling along again.

Chas Jones

Just a little change in form, just to be different.

Beech and Walnut 220mm diameter (8.66")

Attachments

• DSCN3014 (Medium).JPG
    DSCN3014 (Medium).JPG
    45.2 KB · Views: 22
  • DSCN3015 (Medium).JPG
    DSCN3015 (Medium).JPG
    33 KB · Views: 17
..... When you glue up the blanks, do you use wood that has already dried, or do you use green wood?
Raymond, The wood is dry, all the recent pieces are made up from off-cuts from a furniture manufacture and are below 8% moisture.
Green wood, or even wood with more than about 10% moisture is likely to fail along the narrow glue lines due to wood shrinkage.
In fact wood that I have home dried I will not risk using until it's down below 6% which is almost the lowest reading on my meter.

If I have any doubts I leave the rough turned rings for a couple of weeks to allow glue moisture etc. to dry out.

Just checked these I turned about an hour ago and they are all below 4% moisture.

Attachments

• DSCN3017 (Medium).jpg
    DSCN3017 (Medium).jpg
    75.9 KB · Views: 11
Chas, I would love for you to teach my turning class for a week or more. I'd be right in the student section learning along with the rest! :thumb::thumb:

Jonathan, you would probably be shocked at my methods and approach to turning, the only thing that registers with me is the finished item, how it's constructed and tools used are all done on what might be termed 'lowest common denominator' basis in both work involved and costs.

DIY level 14" Bandsaw, but fitted with the best blade I can buy and tweaked to cut true.
Low budget chop saw, but fitted with good blade and adjusted for as near perfect angle and squareness to table that I can achieve.
Lathe tools, use as few as possible and as basic in form as possible from a good manufacturer, but no exotics.
Only work on wood during preparation if it actually needs it for next process.
Same with finishing, as these are buffing wheel finished, just sanded to 240grit no point in going further.

Look at the clamped bits in post above for next little boxes.
The Oak top and bottom is as cut out from previous larger box tops, just dressed each side for mounting socket and foot and mating surface for ring. The walnut ones rough cut on bandsaw from scrap and likewise socketed and mating surface prepared.

The rough clean up of those rings and the two pairs of top/bottoms took about 45mins including changing chucks between Cole Jaws and Dovetail.
(work saving tip here, Cole jaws are fitted on a 5" chuck so they give much wider range without moving buttons)

Note there's no attempt to make the components or work surfaces not needed for accurate fitting look pretty, just trued up enough to provide alignment guides.