Wood turning tool choice

What type of help are you looking for Jim? Just comparing tool brands as to what ones hold the edge longer or have better steel? I mean there are lots of different manufactures out there of all kinds of tools. Sticking to the better names always seems to pay off. Names like Thompson,Sorby's, Henry Taylors P&N, One way and Easy wood. Not including the specialty tools and all the ones that you can make yourself. The more that you spend generaly means better quality, but saying that it all depends on what your turning too. No mater how you sharpen the tools certain wood can dull them pretty fast good. Purple heart is my worst experience. Cut, sharpen cut, sharpen... Don't know if any of that helps:dunno: Of course I am by far no expert. I bumble along learning more every time I pick up the tools and re sharpen them.

Jim I haven't found any info or at least not much info on tools either. You are going to get a number of different answers. Everyone has there favorites and will be the best. I will say I have used tools like Benjamins Best from PSI, to Sorby, to Hamlet, Crown, P & N, etc. These are all good tools so don't get me wrong but IMHO the tools from Doug Thompson are second to none and won't break the bank. For me they hold a edge longer than any other tool I have. I also am no expert by any stretch of the imagination but this has been my experince thru the last 5 or 6 yrs of turning.

Bernie said almost exactly what I was going to say. I've not seen any formal reviews, but I'll strongly recommend Thompson tools. In general, the more expensive the turning tool, the better it is. The one big exception to that is the Thompson product line, which is among the very best, yet at a mid-pack price point. :thumb:

Turning Tool Quality

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the info.

Drew,
Basically I wanted to be sure that more money really purchased better quality and design. A million years ago when I was heavily into photography there was a film that sold for less than a fourth the cost of the top names...and it had a better gray scale and finer grain. In other words a real bargain.

Bernie,
Thanks for the frank personal opinion. I really do appreciate it and the way you presented it. I guess Doug will get some of my money tomorrow at the Wood Working Show.

Vaughn,
As always, your opinion counts very high with me. I am glad you did, "me too" to Bernie.

Thanks Again, I will tell Doug to send all three of you a check.

Enjoy,

JimB

I unfortunatly don't have any Thompson tools as of yet and hopefully that will be changing this year. It would be nice to actually have a proper turning supplier here in Victoria that specialized in just turning tools and supplies. The closest thing is Lee valley but they are understandably limited and we can't expect Rob to stock everything in the way of turning tools.