New Jersey getting pounded by a snow storm

Jim Mattheiss

Hello Folks:

I'm sitting in the Living Room typing this to the sound of my generator running in the driveway. I'm listening the the local news and it's a mess out here. I-80, RT-24, I-78, I-287 are all a mess with accidents and downed trees.

I'm 46 and have never don't remember a snowstorm like this before Christmas no less Halloween. We have 4+ inches of WET HEAVY SNOW and it's wreaking havoc with the trees. I have a bunch of limbs down on my property. The CRACK a snow loaded limb makes when it gives way is pretty impressive. The power went out around 3:30 today and I'm not expecting it back on any time soon.

I'll post some pic's tomorrow - I'm not going outside tonight if I don't have to.
I know this happens every where but this is a first for me. I hate to see what's happening north and west of me - they were supposed to get hit even heavier.

I shudder to think what would have happened to the 80+ year old white ash tree that is the focal point of my back yard if "grandma" as I call her didn't drop all her leaves over the last 2 weeks. She's a "snowbird" - her leaves are down by mid October and she doesn't really show green foliage until mid-May.

Everyone stay safe and warm tonight!

Cheers

Jim

Even if you are in an area that that is quite normal, it is never fun:( Hope it clears out quickly Jim and minimal damage resulted from the early snow...

Between 14 and 20 inches of the white stuff in the yard this am. Crazy I had to plow the driveway before Halloween.:doh::doh: 2 years ago I had to mow the lawn the weekend before Christmas.:eek: Oh and yes the lawn should have been mowed before this snow storm. :thumb::rofl::rofl:

Being a life-long Southerner (Texas, Florida and Georgia), it's hard to imagine what it's like to go through a storm like you're having up there. Hope you get through it in good shape!

One news item I saw this morning showed a town in New Hampshire topping the list at 31 inches+ :eek::eek: Hard to imagine that melting away before real winter comes.

The real irony is, relatively little came up into the Great White North. Go figure. All we had here was heavy rain and blowing a gale about 80kph.

That's heavy, wet stuff, "heart attack snow".
Be careful down there.

Wow - time sure flies! My internet went down soon after I posted that original message and it was restored overnight last night along with the power.

My generator got the job done again and it's taking a well deserved rest right now. The only personal casualties of this storm were a number of trees on my property and the DVR.

It's was eerie - we were standing in the garage door on Saturday listening to CRACK - THUD every minute or so as overloaded limbs broke and fell to the ground. A BIG fork fell and landed next to the house right next to the garage - I had to cut it into pieces just to move it at all.

I don't have any good devastation pictures but there are plenty on-line already.

My Dad's power is still out and I'm heading over there in a few minutes to cable/secure his generator to the house - there are some generator rustlers in the area. There was an aborted/interrupted rustling last night from a neighbors house.

Thank you for all the kind thoughts and wishes.

Cheers

Jim Mattheiss