A Little Bit of Larrywood

Vaughn McMillan

Administrator
Staff member
Some time back, I got a large slab of Michigan chocolate from Larry. Although most of that slab will become a table of some sort, part of it ended up on the lathe.

A bit over a year ago, I turned a large platter out some of the allotted lathe wood. It looked nice, had a good finish on it, but something about the form didn't really hit my buttons. I intentionally left it pretty thick. Although I showed it at a couple of shows last year, I wasn't completely happy with it for some reason. It just didn't feel right in my hands.

Within a few months, the platter had warped quite a bit...about 1/2" within the 15 1/2" diameter. It wouldn't sit on a table without rocking. I had obviously hurried too much to get it finished and not let it dry after rough turning it.

A couple of weeks ago, I finally decided to take it back into the shop to see if I could turn the warp out of it. Long story short, I was able to make it flat again, I simplified the form, and ended up with a thin (about 3/8" thick) platter made of some of the prettiest walnut crotch wood I've ever seen.

Here's the before:

Malibu August 2010 - 01  800.jpg

And here's the after:

Vaughn McMillan Walnut Crotch Platter 800.jpg

It's much simpler now, which I think shows off the figure in the wood much better. It's also much lighter, which, at least to me, feels better in my hands. Now I'm happy with it. :yes:

Comments, critiques, and questions are all welcome.

And thanks, Larry! :thumb: :wave:

Thanks for the kind words, guys. :thumb:

Yes, he is definitely holding out on us. Let's see, an upgrade from a PM, it must be either a Oneway, Vicmarc, Nova, Robust, Serious...what am I missing?

A Nova is an upgrade from the Powermatic? :rolleyes: :p Nah. :D

Stu and Bill, rest assured I've still got the PM living in my shop. I have no idea why you thought I'd sold it. :whistling: :rofl: