Yet another workbench

This is the 3rd or 4th one I've built over the years (the others being solid core doors on 2x4s). This is based largely on the "Bob Key" school of workbench building (i.e., all laminated pine). It is quite stable, but I don't know how the pine top surface will hold up. Also don't know if I'll like the tool tray or not. I'm debating adding more drawers underneath. In any event, it gave me an appreciation for building one in all maple.

bench1.jpg

This is the 3rd or 4th one I've built over the years (the others being solid core doors on 2x4s). This is based largely on the "Bob Key" school of workbench building (i.e., all laminated pine). It is quite stable, but I don't know how the pine top surface will hold up. Also don't know if I'll like the tool tray or not. I'm debating adding more drawers underneath. In any event, it gave me an appreciation for building one in all maple.
Hi Charlie,

That bench looks very stable - nicely done!:thumb: One of my first benches had a top of face laminated SYP 2 x 4's topped with 3/4" oak T&G flooring! Very heavy. I used it for 15 yrs before giving it to a friend of mine 12 yrs ago. It's still in daily use.

Not being a cabint builder, I'm not sure about the tool box thing either. But, if I had that bench, I'm sure the tool box would get filled with shavings and junk in no time.
Those vises are sure some big hosses.
And, mighty fine job of building. :thumb:

Hey Charlie, that looks really good! :thumb:

I'd want some more drawers, nice to be orginized :rolleyes:

I have to ask, is that a real turtle back vice............?

Man, I'd LOVE to get hold of one of those!

Are you going to put bench dogs in of some sort?

VERY nice! :clap:

Bench looks good, but I really like, want, covet thy vice! :D

Instead of the 2x studs, you may want to consider douglas fir or syp next time. They are both much harder than the studs.

Charlie,

Nice job on the bench. I am sure that you do not want to hear this but I just filled my tray in because I did not like it. You may have better work habits than I do but mine just filled with junk, tools and sawdust, just like Frank said. I like the larger working surface that I have now better than having the tray. The good news is that since you built it, if you do not like the tray, you certainly have the skills to do away with it.

Another good thing is that if you are planning on building one out of more expensive materials you will know exactly what you want in a new one.

What a vise!!!