Trivets

Bill Arnold

Staff member
LOML "requested" that I make a few of these, so I did. She likes it when I obey!!!

A simple frame of scrap maple. I cut the rabbet before mitering. Cut the keyways after the glue was cured on the frames. Used scrap mahogany for the keys. Got 5" ceramic tiles on clearance at the borg for 22 cents each. Inexpensive and quick project that pleases - especially LOML. :thumb:

triv_a.jpg

triv_b.jpg

There will probably be more of these before the holidays. :rolleyes:

I love trivets and use them all the time. I always wondered about wood ones because something hot would burn them, right? But having a tile there solves that problem. Good Bill. I'm wondering though if there's enough space between the wood and the tile to trap the lasagna I'd probably pour over it?

I love trivets and use them all the time. I always wondered about wood ones because something hot would burn them, right? But having a tile there solves that problem. Good Bill. I'm wondering though if there's enough space between the wood and the tile to trap the lasagna I'd probably pour over it?
I'm sure a small amount would be left behind for the next meal! :rolleyes: Actually, the spacing around the edge messes me up occasionally. I try to leave as little as possible but there is a difference in actual dimension among several tiles. I called them 5" tiles but they measure 5 3/4"; or maybe 5 13/16"; or maybe -- well, you get the picture.

I cut the rabbet so the tile sits a little above the wood. I wouldn't sit a fajita skillet on one of these little thingies, though! :eek: