Friday 11/4 Edition

Friday and November to boot. We have a time change this weekend and a board upgrade scheduled. So what's going on in your neighborhood?

Me, shop time today, Saturday brings a work day at church, then shop time after that. Sunday, the usual.

Friday: Shop time all day today - mainly the credenza project but I'm working on some small things for gifts as well.

Saturday: LOML 'requested' my presence with her to go shopping. One of the department stores is opening at 6am and giving gift cards to the first 100 customers. She's trying to bribe me by taking me to breakfast afterwards. Uh-huh. :huh:

Sunday: The usual - I'll prepare brunch, then settle in for the race. Not sure what dinner will be yet - either steaks of maybe chicken marsala or whatever strikes me between now and then.

Installing a door between the garage and house on saturday. Creating a place to store 200BF of curlie maple and start setting up a scary sharp area to start sharpening plane blades:thumb:

Stayed home today with stomach flu, was up most of the night, still not feeling well, but ok lying down with the laptop. :(

Hopefully cleaning up the destruction in the shop and starting on some electrical and finishing out some upper walls. Also been working on a new, more portable design for a photo booth, so may start some construction on it...will get to break out the welder again. :)

Dinner at the MIL's tonight, always good food and drink so looking forward to that. Saturday will bring outside work on some facia on the garage and then some time in the garage finishing some things for a holiday show I'm doing with my dad next weekend. Sunday more of the same....

Tonight, CJ spending the night so will get his pony out.
Saturday, have a dividing fence to build as well as rebuild an H brace. Haul firewood.
Sunday, time with Lou Ann. Seems we are going 100 mph and never get time to relax. Have a new couch and we are enjoying sitting on it.

Tonight I'll be going to the opening reception for the exhibit the Glendale Woodturners Guild has just installed in Glendale. It's part of the GATE Project (Glendale Area Temporary Exhibits) that takes vacant retail spaces and temporarily turns them into art galleries. Our turning club was asked to participate, and I'm one of about 12 turners with pieces on display. Here's more info:

http://gateprojects.org/?p=395

Saturday I'm off on a combined business/pleasure trip for a few days. More on that later. ;)

WONDERFUL DAY---GLENN IS COMING for a couple days.

Just like the preceding post, by Raymond---Glenn is going to do some work on my vise (I used to spell it vice until Glenn corrected me.). It requires getting into positions my body won't get into anymore.

That position thing really rankles. I used to be the second cousin of the "India rubber man."

Glenn will do some Christmas turning.

All is well here.

Enjoy,

JimB

I don't know why I complain about my body. Yes, it has limitations. However, it can still do more things than most people can.

Last edited:
Tonight I'll be going to the opening reception for the exhibit the Glendale Woodturners Guild has just installed in Glendale. It's part of the GATE Project (Glendale Area Temporary Exhibits) that takes vacant retail spaces and temporarily turns them into art galleries. Our turning club was asked to participate, and I'm one of about 12 turners with pieces on display. Here's more info:

Vaughn, do you haul your pieces there and back that night? If they stay, how are they secured? The reason I ask, our county seat is looking for options on some empty buildings in town and this sounds really neat.

Having an unexpected day off, I stopped at Woodcraft on my way back to the hotel... picked up some more 1/8" ply for more ornaments and other scroll projects.

Ned, is that the same as luaun (sp?) ?

I'm actually in the shop for a change. Beefing up one of my little rolling tables for the little planer. Took one little rolling table apart and going to make a smaller shorter one. a very quick and dirty, hillbilly one, which I need YESTERDAY. And got a short article to draft.

I found a TV show that I really like on HBO, In Treatment, so I'm going to watch a few episodes of it while LOML is watching hockey.

Due to last weekends storm trick or treating and my grandsons birthday party were postponed until this saturday.

Probably try and figure out what the heck I'm going to make out of a 12" 2x4 :eek:

Vaughn, do you haul your pieces there and back that night? If they stay, how are they secured? The reason I ask, our county seat is looking for options on some empty buildings in town and this sounds really neat...

The pieces will stay at the exhibit, and the storefront will be locked up when nobody is there to man it. The storefront (which used to be a sushi restaurant) is on the second floor of a high-rise building that has shopping on the lower levels and offices above that. After hours, the building has alarms and security guards. Still, we have to sign a release and relieve the building management of responsibility if anything is stolen. The exhibit will only be open a few hours each week (Wednesdays around lunchtime and Saturday afternoons and evenings). Those of us who are displaying will take turns "manning the store". Although some of us do have prices displayed, the main intent of the display is to promote woodturning and the club. Any actual sales will be done off-site. It's a pretty cool concept, and it provides a free venue for local artists to get their work seen by the general public.

I changed the furnace filter today...whew...that's enough work for this weekend :D
I do need to apply a finish on my 2"x4"x12" project...now if I could only remember where my shop is...this durn cold still won't go away :( but the meds are sure making me feel Hey I'm good, how you been? :wave: