Building SHAD

Well, Jeff, I was going to ask why you opted for a Blog instead of the forum format, i.e., Messing-About forum but I understand. Really doesn't matter, I building a Curlew and I will be watching and learning.

Just finished this one up, or will in the AM. Just took 12 days and those are not all full days work either. Just hitting some 'highlights'. You can read all the details at my blog. http://www.kudzupatch.com/blog/

Finished frame
day5-4.jpg

Laminated coaming getting the lip.
day7-2.jpg

Skinning in progress.
day9-1.jpg

Just add the rigging and she is ready for the water.
day11-21.jpg

Should have updated this before now I guess. I never took SHAD to the water before I stripped the skin off and made some changes to the frame. Long story but it didn't have that sweet curve in the sheer it was supposed to have and I looked it for a couple of days and just could not stand it. It was not right and I was not happy with it. I had a pretty good idea why the sheer didn't look right and there was only way to find out.

So I skinned Shad, removed a few frames, recut them and reinstalled them. Just as I suspected, now the frame had the sweep/curve I expected. I also found my green I wanted.... or close. I swear this stuff may glow in the dark! :eek: Once the black deck rigging is on that will break up that huge expanse of green and make a real difference in the way it looks. Regardless, I love it!

rebuild-d4-1.jpg

rebuild-d4-2.jpg

rebuild-d4-3.jpg

Attachments

• rebuild-d4-1.jpg
    rebuild-d4-1.jpg
    75.6 KB · Views: 0
Agree with Brent, that is an electric green, and very cool.

But I'm not sure how easy it would have been for me to pull out the knife and cut off the fabric! ouch.
I know, you've done tons of them, but I haven't!

Art, it's no different than cutting a new board when you mess up building something. It's either right or it is not. In my case it was not right and I know it would never paddle right either. I am a little bit of a perfectionist when it comes to my boats, more so when it comes to the designs. I refuse to sell something that isn't right. What is old saying? Takes a lifetime to build a good reputation and seconds to ruin it.

Here is the finished product. Was going to the water today but it is raining. I don't mind the rain since it is winter and I am wearing a dry suit anyway. But I don't like undressing in the rain and I am not going to wear that wet dry suit in the car. So I am stuck sitting here hoping the rain isn't so bad tomorrow.

finished-2.jpg

finished-3.jpg

finished-4.jpg

Attachments

• finished-3.jpg
    finished-3.jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 1
I have paddled it twice now and I really like this boat. Just need to take it out in a little wind and waves. So far all we have had is rain and fog the last few days.

tnImgp2569.jpg

tnImgp2572.jpg

I am really impressed with it. It was worth the wait and the aggravation of ripping off the first skin, changing the frame and reskinning. It came out like I wanted the second time. I just need to finish up the final plans and they will be available in a couple of weeks.

Wow Jeff, I had failed to stay caught up on this build. She came out looking awesome! I really like the green and black color scheme. :thumb:

Ain't she sweet, Jeff? What a nice looking craft and what a great job you did.

I'm itching to build another boat and after seeing this, I'm thinking I ought to build one of your kayaks. I might actually be able to swing that in my shop.

Thanks Dave. It is a beautiful boat, I don't care if I did design it. I have built boats I simply did not like, this is not one of them. I really like this one.

You have good reason to say what you said. It is a beautiful boat, graceful lines, sweeping curves, very feminine looking/like a model. I love the green and black. It is a color that would magnify any problems but displays this boat majestically. Very very nice job Jeff!!

beautiful kayak jeff! you have to be careful with that green though. it's the closest to what plymouth called sub-lime green in the 70's. my brother, who is restoring a 69 cuda, which has had some pics posted here, was bs'ing about wanting to paint it sub-lime green and black, but, he said, it's the kind of color that would give you a headache if you looked at it for too long....