Master woodworkers show pictures

I got up this morning and eased over to Knoxville to have a look at some "masters" and really see how I stack up. Well, all I can say is I'm about where I thought!:D

My photography skills are lacking and the woodworking skills are outstanding! I tried to get something for everyone from box making to turning. I didn't think of it until after I left, but I should have gotten pictures of the name plates with each piece so I could give credit. The ones that I remember I'll tell in the pic title. I will tell you the first one is Al Hudson. He's a local boy, at a spry age of around 90. The pictures are an injustice to this thing! As I was gawking he was talking to another fellow who asked if he had ever had it appraised. He told him it had appraised for 60,000 and he had around 700 hours in it. The case is Cuban bees wing mahogany that he said a friend had for years and finally sold it to him. I also included a chest he made, check out the price! Brian Boggs was also there, but I never did get to see him. Here's a couple of his chairs. I'll let you enjoy the rest, again if I could remember who made it I put their name in the picture title.

Attachments

• al hudson (1).JPG
    al hudson (1).JPG
    93.4 KB · Views: 61
  • al hudson (2).JPG
    al hudson (2).JPG
    83.5 KB · Views: 58
  • al hudson (3).JPG
    al hudson (3).JPG
    99.7 KB · Views: 57
  • al hudson (5).JPG
    al hudson (5).JPG
    89.7 KB · Views: 51
  • al hudson (4).JPG
    al hudson (4).JPG
    111.7 KB · Views: 55
  • brian boggs (1).JPG
    brian boggs (1).JPG
    95.7 KB · Views: 53
  • brian boggs (2).JPG
    brian boggs (2).JPG
    74.8 KB · Views: 53
  • alf sharp (4).JPG
    alf sharp (4).JPG
    63 KB · Views: 49
  • alf sharp (2).JPG
    alf sharp (2).JPG
    97.4 KB · Views: 48
  • alf sharp (1).JPG
    alf sharp (1).JPG
    92.6 KB · Views: 54
Last edited:
continuing with more pics......

Attachments

• tom sciple.JPG
    tom sciple.JPG
    93 KB · Views: 47
  • sabihn mujtaba.JPG
    sabihn mujtaba.JPG
    88.4 KB · Views: 40
  • re young (3).JPG
    re young (3).JPG
    111.2 KB · Views: 32
  • re young (2).JPG
    re young (2).JPG
    91.4 KB · Views: 34
  • re young (1).JPG
    re young (1).JPG
    87.1 KB · Views: 35
  • john crawford (2).JPG
    john crawford (2).JPG
    63.3 KB · Views: 35
  • john crawford (1).JPG
    john crawford (1).JPG
    78.6 KB · Views: 35
  • jeffrey neil.JPG
    jeffrey neil.JPG
    88.1 KB · Views: 38
  • brian brace (2).JPG
    brian brace (2).JPG
    80 KB · Views: 39
  • brian brace (1).JPG
    brian brace (1).JPG
    68.7 KB · Views: 41
last set.....

Attachments

• woodworkers show 032.JPG
    woodworkers show 032.JPG
    95.7 KB · Views: 35
  • woodworkers show 029.JPG
    woodworkers show 029.JPG
    92.9 KB · Views: 39
  • woodworkers show 011.JPG
    woodworkers show 011.JPG
    92 KB · Views: 41
  • woodworkers show 010.JPG
    woodworkers show 010.JPG
    75.7 KB · Views: 41
  • woodworkers show 009.JPG
    woodworkers show 009.JPG
    99 KB · Views: 40
  • woodworkers show 006.JPG
    woodworkers show 006.JPG
    102.2 KB · Views: 41
  • woodworkers show 001.JPG
    woodworkers show 001.JPG
    84.7 KB · Views: 35
that is some amazing work john,,,, and i like the way that the alf fella turned that crotch around to make it go from corner to corner:D:thumb::thumb::thumb: thanks for sharun the pics..

Wow John just wow wow wow ......between you and Vaughn today i think i am more than inspired.

There are some absolutely awsome pieces there. That set of tables with the maple edging hit a button with me, the dung beatle chair such creativity, the monks well just take second look at the cobble stones in that pic, to get it to the point where you think you are seeing them in real life...thats an amazing piece, but the list goes on and on. The first unit you showed man that guys wood just over shadowed his fine work and the piece as a whole. Each one fine works of art and woodworking.

Thanks a ton for sharing the pics.:thumb::thumb::thumb: now i been to two exhibitions today at least.

This reproduction of the Andrew Jackson sugar box was outstanding!:thumb: I talked to the maker for awhile. He makes his own banding and such. I voted this one for peoples choice. The walnut came from trees that were taken down from the Hermitage, which is Jackson's estate outside Nashville.

It was inspirational to see these pieces! I also liked being able to see all the different furniture styles in one place. I really liked the Federal stuff. I haven't seen much of that in person. All the banding, inlay, and curves were really neat.

They had a section set up with different chairs, they had a few of Brian Boggs chairs along with several windsor chairs from Curtis Buchanan and Don Weber.

Attachments

• re young (3).JPG
    re young (3).JPG
    111.2 KB · Views: 12
John do you know why its called a sugar box? I stopped by for another look at those pics man they even better second time around. I like all the styles. Hard to have a favorite. Do you know what the wood type was in the unit in the first picture? Its very red looking so i am thinking its walnut that has been stained or just the camera doing it?

John, thanks for posting the photos. While I don't aspire to build certain of those styles of furniture, all of it has features that transcend specific styling and could be incorporated into many types of pieces. Thanks, again.

John do you know why its called a sugar box? I stopped by for another look at those pics man they even better second time around. I like all the styles. Hard to have a favorite. Do you know what the wood type was in the unit in the first picture? Its very red looking so i am thinking its walnut that has been stained or just the camera doing it?

Apparently back in the day sugar was a very valuable commodity, so they kept it locked up. I know for some reason Tennessee and Kentucky antique sugar chests can go for a good chunk of cash. A sugar chest is on my bucket list, which is a mile long!

In the first few pictures it's my poor photo skills. Al's piece is mahogany, and it's put your eyes out pretty! Here's a link to a description about the secretary. http://www.tommymccartney.com/entry-doors/epoxy-1.html

I agree Bill, I've got no interest in building many of the pieces I saw. I could however appreciate the style and effort put into the work. This was the first show like this that I've been to. If you haven't been to one before I'd suggest you check one out. I spent as much time looking a joinery, finishing and such as I did the overall pieces. As I've found with most woodworkers all the craftsman were very willing to answer any questions I or anyone had. What I planed on being about an hour visit ended up being 2 1/2 hours.