My week of hunting was cut short !

I'll tell ya, it never seem to amaze me the skills I've learned . I hunted this buck 2 time this year during bow season and never could get him into bow range but give it opening day Muzzle Loader season , a little doe estrus pee and a bleat call and , YA BABY ! He came sneaking in behind me and was 5 yards at the base of a tree I had set up Friday afternoon. I saw him last year and gave him a pass , I think he's 4.5 YO can't say what he would be like next year. HE'S DONE ! :D Neat part about this hunt I have to portage across the lake to get in to my spot with out letting them know I invaded there territory. I shot, to much smoke to see which way he went or if I even hit him good. So I lessened and 35 yards I hear the important sound Crash ! Funny the area he ran into was where he came out and I found a rub line back in that thicket. So tell me; what do they rub on trails for, to fake us hunters out so they can slide in behind us. Well this guy got made :rofl:
IMAG0397.jpg

BTW 160 gross, give or take an inch. My largest buck to date. I figure it may be another couple years till the next one falls.

Last edited:
Very nice Dave, next time use a smaller caliber and maybe you can harvest the rest of the deer! :rolleyes::eek::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:
Those antlers would make a few good pens!! :dunno::eek::rofl::rofl::rofl:
Shotgun starts here next Sat.. Have so much to do, Lou isn't up to getting to a blind, think this year is a wash. Have a pig in the freezer, week and a half fat calves go in, farmer in me this year is beating out the hunter in me. Nice, very nice buck Dave, congrats!!!!:thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb:

Very nice Dave!

Venison is such good eating :D

I wish I could go deer hunting here, I can go with a friend but not hunt, getting the needed licenses is possible in Japan, but it takes about 10 years and a LOT of time and money, neither of which I have at the moment :(

Used to love to go hunting, got a few bucks too. :thumb:

Personally I have no issue with hunting for food but i find it very offensive to be posting pics on here of it with laughing about it on a family wood working site. As was mentioned in the past about family members and their families seeing some of the postings and this has greatly upset my personal family at home seeing this display posted here on this site. Do we not have a COC in regards to things like this?

Last edited:
That's a fine buck you got there, Dave. I'm sure it'll make for some good eating! Are you going to mount the head as a trophy?

I have never had an interest in hunting, but did quite a bit of fishing a few decades ago. Had a BIL back then who could hardly wait for white tail season in Texas. I recall one year he and a buddy headed out very early the first day of the season and were back the middle of the afternoon. No sooner had the sun come up and there was a 12-point only few few yards away. He dropped it in its tracks. He was complaining like crazy!!! Biggest buck of his life and deer season just started! :dunno:

Personally I have no issue with hunting for food but i find it very offensive to be posting pics on here of it with laughing about it on a family wood working site. As was mentioned in the past about family members and their families seeing some of the postings and this has greatly upset my personal family at home seeing this display posted here on this site. Do we not have a COC in regards to things like this?

Because it's not all about the kill Bill. That's only icing on the cake so to speak. For me I could careless if I kill something. I enjoy being outside in the woods enjoying God's wonders!

I will be taking him to my friend shop to get mounte and the only reason I am doings is, I won a free mount contest. I was talking to Walt yesterday telling him about the hunt and I felt kind of bad telling him its going to be afreebe because of the raffle . He was all excited I won it.
So far he has gone to 3 families .
I am letting my son Jarrod take over the deer management team and they are offering a lot of meat to the needy.

Life is so much easier when you live for what you love to do and just don't care what others say. What have you done for your brother or sister, mother or neighbor today.

Last edited:
Dave, I hope you kept enough of the hide, the picture doesn't show that you left enough cape for the taxidermist. But I don't think this is your first rodeo so won't worry about it. As I said before, very nice buck and congrats.

Jonathan , Just got back from dropping him off and Walt said I did cut a little short but he going to work with it. I told him to do what you can and he suggested if this cape will not work he has one very similar to him he could use.

A few picks from the Farm and my venture. Jonathan getting the buck is the icing on the cake for sure !

IMAG0398.jpg

off to the taxidermy
CIMG0072-1.jpg

looking back at the farm house and beach
CIMG0075-1.jpg

Where I am heading

"things like this" are not offensive to most people. It is normal human activity worthy of showing and discussing. Don't like it? Don't look.

Congrats, David. Thanks for posting. I have never killed one that nice and not for lack of trying.
For the muzzle loading junkies amongst us, what kind of gun, caliber, etc. did you use?