dewalt cordless tool users

larry merlau

my SIL had a 14.4 xrp cordless drill,, the clutch is giving him fits and the batteries are doing the low charge thing.. so my question is the xrp really needed with the newer li ion batteries of today.. and i am looking at a reconditioned one.. whats you take on the matter and what should i replace it with another 14.4? or jump up to the 18? he is just a tinkerer now used to use it on cable installs but he now just drives and drill to fix house hold things..

I haven't looked it to cost differences, but I'm more than a tinkerer, and I have gotten along just fine with a 14.4 volt. I have two batteries and it all works great for me. I have never used a 18 volt rig so I don't know the difference. I have also purchased a lot of "refurbished" tools and never had a problem with any.

I am in agreement with Steve. I got an 18v dewalt impact and boy its heavy. Sure it knocks the socks of anything i need to drive home but you know you have been using it after a while.

On the other hand the smaller 12 bosch units i have bought recently are really great tools. They will drive a screw into most things i need around the house and in my shop and i aint light on my tools.

I think the lithium tools are a great addition for us all as we get older and our joints feel the strain more. Whole idea of the cordless tool was to offer a tool to do what was done manually before. Why then should it weigh a ton and be a hassel.

I would put the money into a combo kit were i him and get a Milwaukee combo one drill and one impact or the bosch versions. Getting them on CPO recon can save a ton of money

http://www.cpomilwaukee.com/factory...art=5&cgid=milwaukee-reconditioned-combo-kits

Here is the bigger lithium versions

http://www.cpomilwaukee.com/factory-reconditioned-milwaukee-2691-82-18v-cordless-m18-lithium-ion-2-tool-combo-kit-with-case/milr2691-82,default,pd.html?start=3&cgid=milwaukee-reconditioned-combo-kits

I doubt fixing the batterys and drill on the XRP is going to come out much less than what replacement is gonna be.

Larry,
I've got a bunch of DeWalt 14.4v stuff - drills (3) driver (1) circular saw (2) and a recip saw. I like the size and weight of the 14.4 stuff - it just seems to balance better and feel more comfortable to hand than the heavier (higher voltage) stuff.

I've had five of my batteries rebuilt by MTO. They do a great job - better than new(!) - for about half the retail price of a new battery. Their service is quick, too. Turnaround is about a week.

I don't have the DeWalt, my cordless tools are all Porter Cable that I got for birthday last year and run on 18V.... I don't find them heavy, but do find the saws all and the light do go through batteries pretty fast... haven't used the circular saw but once... I do use the drill driver almost every day to set faceplates... have to watch that I don't run the torque too tight.. keep twisting the heads of my number 10 sheet metal screws....switched to number 12 screws and turned the torque down so haven't had problem lately... this set is a replacement for a Craftsman 14.4 that I used for years until the batteries stopped recharging.