Wall question

Allen Grimes

Hey guys, Im making a wall with a door for a client, and I was just wondering if anybody had any suggestions on how to attach the wall to the other walls.

The other walls are concrete and this wall will be made with 1.5 x 4s covered with ply. Part will be varnished part will be painted. I have a picture of the design somewhere if anybody needs to see it.

I've never done a project like this before so I am not exactly sure if my plan of contruction is the best that it could be.

I will take some more design pics if needed, but for now, Im just concerned with the wall to wall connection.

Sorry, if I am not making perfect sense, I had a looong looong week.

allen, a wall should be attached top and bottom as well as on the side. for the lumber to masonry connection there`s quite a few options depending on your circumstances.....hilti or ramset powerded actuated nailers work well just be sure to use washered pins and the correct load.....readhead type anchors are another option......so are lead drive-ins and tapcons..tod

Do those nailers that you are talking about go through the wood and into the concrete or do I have to place the anchors first and make corresponding holes in the wood?

I'm not very familiar with those tools.

On a side note, would this technique be usable with the installation of kitchen cabinets as well?

hilti and ramset powder actuated nailers will shoot nails into concrete/steel/ect........i wouldn`t use them for affixing kitchen cabinets though unless the cabinets where built with the intention of shooting pins through the nailing strip........if you`re dealing with block then they`re not an option.

Hmm, well I forgot to ask my client if her walls are brick or block.

If it is block then I have to use the dowel and screw technique, right? Are there any other options for block that I'm not aware of?

Well either way, I think I know what Im going to do now.

Thanks Tod

If it is block then I have to use the dowel and screw technique, right? Are there any other options for block that I'm not aware of?

Thanks Tod

Hammer drill with small bit for block, concrete.
Then concrete screws. "Good" screws.
The blue plated screws that are available are not very tough.
Get the brass coated screws, that take the torx head driver.

Thanks Tod

brick or block are no-no`s for shooting.......only concrete, the kind that comes in a ready-mix truck and is poured into forms........both readhead and powers make good hollow-wall and masonry anchors......i prefer the powers drive-in lead anchors for both block and brick here`s a pic..
MVC-275S.JPG

Allen,

The wall anchors will work well for the block walls. Is the floor a concrete slab? If so, get one of the manual powder actuated nailers. They basically use a 22 caliber shell to shoot the nail into the floor. Make sure to also secure the top plate.

Yes, the ceiling and floor are concrete slab.

Thanks for all the help and suggestions guys.

I just realized a few other things that might complicate this project even more, so I have to discuss them with my client when I see her tomorrow. Once I figure some of this stuff out, I will update you guys on how things are going. Im thinking that there might be a slight change of plans, but Im not sure yet.

Just in case, what would be the best method for fastening molding to brick/block?

On a side note (if anybody knows the answer), what is the reason that houses in the States and Canada are built with wood instead of brick? Is it due to cost efficiency or are there benefits to wood houses that Im not aware of?

If you can find a way to brace it, construction adhesive would work on the molding. As for the house question, I think it is due to cost and time efficiencies.