Oak floor lamp with stained glass shade -Build thread

December 25th Update:

Well, I didn't get the lamp completed in time for Christmas. I did complete the lampshade and that is what Margaret received as one of her gifts on Christmas morning:

Prairie Lamp 42 -Margaret opening the lampshade gift Christmas morning -1 -small.JPG Prairie Lamp 43 -Margaret opening the lampshade gift Christmas morning -2 -small.JPG Prairie Lamp 44 -Margaret opening the lampshade gift Christmas morning -3 -small.JPG

Picking up since the last last update of this thread, here are the steps that were taken to complete the lampshade:

Four slots for ventilation were inserted into the top piece. I made the slots by drilling holes at the ends, cutting the sides with a jig saw, then cleaning up the slots with a file:

Prairie Lamp 38 -Drilling holes to form the ends of the ventilation slots in the top of the lamp.JPG Prairie Lamp 39 -Sawing the sides of the ventilation slots in the top of the lampshade -small.JPG Prairie Lamp 40 -Cleaning up the ventilation slots with a file -small.JPG

The top was then glued in place. After the glue dried, the top and the joints were sanded and rounded using 80 grit paper using a Festool Rotex 150 sander.

Then, the whole frame was sanded in stages using 120, 150, 1870, 220, 320 paper with a Festool Duplex linear sander as well as hand sanded with Festool Granat 120, 180, and 320 foam backed pads:

Prairie Lamp 41 -Sanding the  lampshade frame -small.JPG

Finally, one coat of polymerized tung oil sealer and two coats of tung oil were applied leaving a day between each application.

I would just consider this the gift that keeps giving ;-) First the shade, then the base. If she plays her cards right she may get a light bulb and a cord.

The lamp is looking great Frank. Thanks for taking the time to post the build pics. I always enjoy riding along with other's projects. I am a big fan of the style you are using. That sort of stuff just feels like home to me although that is not the style my parents had. Can't explain it, I just enjoy it.

I would just consider this the gift that keeps giving ;-) First the shade, then the base. If she plays her cards right she may get a light bulb and a cord.
Sounds like a good plan.

The lamp is looking great Frank. Thanks for taking the time to post the build pics. I always enjoy riding along with other's projects. I am a big fan of the style you are using. That sort of stuff just feels like home to me although that is not the style my parents had. Can't explain it, I just enjoy it.
Thanks Glenn. Margaret and I have become great fans of the various Arts and Crafts styles. We don't have very many items of those styles in our house right now and that gives me lots of oportunity for future projects.

I finally built the base for the lamp

(part 1 of 5)

The lampshade plan was for a table lamp but I thought that I could easily extend the plan to make a floor lamp base. So, in January, I made a prototype base out of scrap wood but it didn’t seem right. Somehow, the in extending the table lamp base to a floor lamp base then proportions got out of whack; so I set the project aside. As with so many things that I set aside, it was not until many months later that I got back to it. This time I decided to make a base using a floor lamp plan that I found in Wood magazine. (The plan for the shade came from Fine Woodworking.)

floor lamp plan.jpg

The rough quarter-sawn white oak that I put into my work shed to acclimatize a year ago:

Prairie Lamp 17 -6-4 quarter sawn oak getting accliamitized in woodworking shed -small.JPG

is certainly now well acclimatized. :D

I planed the boards I am using on my new Hammer jointer-planer combo. But, rather than using the jointer to make a square edge, I prefer to use my Festool track saw equipped with a Panther blade for ripping:

Floor lamp base -01 -Insert a Panther (ripping) blade into track saw -small.JPG Floor lamp base -02 -Edge joint oak board with track saw -small.JPG

Using the same saw, I ripped a the 33 millimetre board that had just been jointed into a couple of pieces approximately 65 millimetres wide. These pieces will later be glued together to form the floor lamp’s column. Once these boards have been glued together, I will trim the column to be 60 millimetres square.

Next, I routed a channel wide enough to hold a 3/8 inch threaded rod in the inside centre of both the column boards:

Floor lamp base -03 _Routing a grove inside one half of the lamp's column -small.jpg

The rod fits well:
Floor lamp base -04 -A threaded rod will be inserted when the two halves of the column are glued.JPG

The short piece of rod that came with the standard lamp kit that I purchased was much too short to provide adequate support, so I had to cut a longer piece from a separately purchased rod:

Floor lamp base -05 -The threaded rod that came with the lamp kit is too short to provide good s.JPG

I want the rod to be both adjustable and removable so I embedded a bolt within the channel. In order to do this, my drill press was used to “carve” a slot at right angles to the channel and a little way down in the channel:
Floor lamp base -06 -Using drill press to carve a slot for bolt -small.JPG Floor lamp base -07 -Just before glue-up of the two colum pieces -small.JPG

I glued the two sides of the post together with the bolt attached to the rod and crossed my fingers :crossed: to hope it would be possible to unscrew the rod once the glue had dried. It was! :D Even better, it was then possible later to screw the rod back into the captured bolt.

The post was then planed down to 6 centimetres on each side (being careful to keep the channel in the middle):

Floor lamp base -08 -Glued-up column planed down to 6 centimetres on each side -small.JPG

(part 2 of 5)

The lamp base plan calls for the exclusive use of oak but, since the shade utilizes both oak and walnut, I decided to use some walnut on the base as well. So the four pole supports are to be walnut. In this photo the pattern for a support is being transferred to a template make use of a sliding bevel and a blending curve (both purchased at Lee Valley):

Floor lamp base -09 -Transfering pattern to template -small.JPG

The column support pieces were cut out of this 25 millimetre thick walnut board using a Festool jigsaw equipped with a scrolling blade:
Floor lamp base -10 -Cutting column support pieces with jigsaw -small.JPG

Unfortunately, this particular blade snapped when it hit a knot: :huh:

Floor lamp base -11 -Broken jigsaw blade -small.JPG

That surprised me. I have used this type of blade a lot over the last nine years in two different Festool jigsaws and have seldom known one to break. I carried on with the replacement blade and the results were great in that all four column support pieces were almost exactly the same size. I ganged them together with a couple of clamps and sanded the curve a little bit with 80 grit paper on a Festool linear sander (Duplex) in order to remove the slight differences:

Floor lamp base -12 -Aligning all support piece profiles with Festool linear sander -small.JPG

The feet are constructed from two oak blocks assembled with a half lap joint. I cut the large dados for the joint using several passes with a “newish” Forrest dado-set on a General 650 table saw:

Floor lamp base -13 -Cutting half-lap joint in foot piece using dado blade on table saw -small.JPG Floor lamp base -14 -Forrest dado set did a good job -small.JPG Floor lamp base -15 -Overlapping foot pieces -small.JPG

I’m quite happy with the joint.

I cut a 19 degree bevel at both ends of both feet, again using my table saw:

Floor lamp base -16 -Cut a 19 degree bevel at both ends of both foot pieces -small.JPG

Last edited:

(part 3 of 5)

Next, I needed to cut these marked pieces out of the feet:

Floor lamp base -17 -I need to cut these pieces out of the feet -small.JPG

I decided to use my large bandsaw for the angled cuts and the dado blade set on my table saw for the straight cuts:

Floor lamp base -18 -Bandsaw was used for the angle cuts -small.JPG Floor lamp base -19 -Dado on table saw was used for the straight cuts -small.JPG

The results were acceptable:

Floor lamp base -20 -The results of the bandsaw and the dado cuts were not bad -small.jpg
The cuts shown above will be at the bottom of the foot assembly, so will not normally be seen. Nevertheless, I cleaned them up a bit with a file and a hand sanding block. The four angled cuts at outside top corners of the feet will be seen, so I hauled out my old and, now, little used Delta stationary belt sander and tidied up those cuts:

Floor lamp base -21 -Stationary belt sander used to smooth visable bandsaw cuts -small.JPG

It did a great job!

I rounded the appropriate edges of all the parts made so far for the lamp base using a ¼ inch roundover bit to a router mounted in my (home made) router table:

Floor lamp base -22 -Appropriate edges of all parts rounded over -small.JPG

I use a Triton 2.25 hp router in the table and it is connected a Festool vacuum.

Grooves for splines were cut in the bottom of the column and in all four column supports:

Floor lamp base -23 -Cutting grooves for splines in the column and in the column supports -small.JPG

This went well except for one small glitch:

Floor lamp base -24 -One groove was cut starting at the wrong end -small.JPG

I cut the groove starting at the wrong end (that is, the visible top) in one of the supports. :eek: Later on, I glued a small piece of walnut into the top of the groove and the goof is difficult to detect.

Last edited:

(part 4 of 5)
All parts were sanded with my Festool Rotex 150 and Deltex 93 sanders using a progression of 80-120-150-180-220 grits. Most of the sanding was done with the Rotex but the Deltex came in handy for some surfaces because it can get right into the corners:

Floor lamp base -25 -Deltex sander used on some surfaces -small.JPG

One thing that I do when sanding for a prolonged period, is to frequently clean the paper with a crepe block (purchased at Lee Valley). The block does a great job as can be seen in these before and after photos:

Floor lamp base -26 -Sandpaper on Rotex before cleaning -small.JPG Floor lamp base -27 -Sandpaper on Rotex after cleaning -small.JPG

The splines were glued into the column:

Floor lamp base -28 -Splines glued into the column -small.JPG

The plans called for 3 inch #8 screws to attach the column to the feet and 2.5 inch #8 screws to attach the supports to the feet. Because one of the surfaces in all these butt joints is an end grain meaning that glue will not work well, I think that these screws would not be strong enough. Instead, I used 4.5 inch long ¼ inch lag bolts to attach the column and 4 inch long #12 screws to attach the supports. In the picture below, I am pre-drilling the holes in the foot assembly.

Floor lamp base -29 -Pre-drilling holes in foot for bolts and screws -small.JPG

In the past, I have had screws and bolts snap off in very hard wood and, to avoid this, I prepared each hole in the column in advance by screwing a lag bolt to a suitable depth then removing it:

Floor lamp base -30 -Preparing screw holes on bottom of column for lag bolts -small.JPG

In the next photo, the feet, column, and supports have all been assembled and the lamp has been wired with a tri-light socket and an extra long lamp cord:

Floor lamp base -31 -Assembled and wired -small.JPG

I finished the lamp with polymerized tung oil. First, a coat of tung oil sealer was applied:

Floor lamp base -32 -Starting to apply tung oil sealer -small.JPG

then wiped after 10 minutes. After one day, a mixture of one part sealer and two parts oil was applied then wiped. This mixture was applied and wiped two more times with a 24 hour interval between each application.

Last edited:

(part 5 of 5)

Here are photos of the lamp being tested in my workshed, the first using a flash and the second without a flash:

Floor lamp base -33 -Lamp lit in shop with flash -small.JPG Floor lamp base -34 -Lamp lit in shop with no flash -small.JPG

Unfortunately, the second picture does not capture the glow of the light through the stained glass. I find the light as seen through the glass on the lowest setting of the tri-light bulb to very relaxing.I think that too much of the lamp socket is visible below the shade and am going to attempt the get a shorter lamp harp in order to lower the shade. It should be possible to lower the shade by about five centimetres.

Here is a photo of the lamp in its place in our living room:

Floor lamp base -35 -In living room (top knob missing) -small.JPG

Last edited:
OK, I managed to find a shorter harp and further modified that harp's shape employing a file, an anvil, and a hammer. This allowed me to lower the shade by about 8 centimetres and this means that one does not see the socket when looking straight on at the lamp. I am much happier with the appearance now.

Floor lamp base -36 -Shade lowerd by 8 centimetres =small.JPG