Gentleman's fountain pen

Frank Fusco

I'm not doing as many pens lately as in past. Just enough for gifts and orders and replace what is in the art gallery. Here is a new style for me. It is the full sized Gentleman's. I had never done this before because I had thought it would be too big to be desirable. Wrong! I love the heft and feel. Will have to make one for myself.

Attachments

• Gent fp open.jpg
    Gent fp open.jpg
    86.8 KB · Views: 64
That's a great looking pen Frank!:thumb: I need to try one of those. Since I'm just starting to do some turning, it probably won't look that nice! What's the wood?

That's a great looking pen Frank!:thumb: I need to try one of those. Since I'm just starting to do some turning, it probably won't look that nice! What's the wood?

I forgot to say, the wood is Ambonya burl.
I would suggest you not start with this style. The kit is expensive and requires a special large drill bit and oversize blanks.
For beginners at pens, the Slimline is the standard. Europeans are a step up and are available in better platings. Then something like the Gentleman Jr. II for more elegance.

Thanks Frank! I've done a couple slimlines that came out pretty good, Dad liked them anyway! I appreciate the progression recommendations also.

Beautiful Frank ... What did you finish it with? I have a few amboyna blanks waiting for increased skill level and better kits. I'm still practicing on slim-lines, haven't got finishing quite right yet.

Beautiful Frank ... What did you finish it with? I have a few amboyna blanks waiting for increased skill level and better kits. I'm still practicing on slim-lines, haven't got finishing quite right yet.

Finishing is the hard part. This pen spent four days on the lathe while I diddled with the finish. My sanding was mostly with a product called Micro Mesh. It goes up to about a 4000 standard grit. After sanding all the way through, I cleaned the wood with denatured alcohol then resanded with the last four grits. Of course, I stopped at each grit and hand sanded lengthwise to get rid of the dreaded 'rings'. When I was satisfied with the sanding, I applied a coat of CA and let dry overnight. Resanded with last four grits of MM, applied another coat of CA, waited overnight again and dittoed with the MM. Then applied a coat of Deft spray lacquer. (dunno why, but only Deft produces the desired results) Let dry for about six hours, resanded with last two grits of MM. Another coat of spray Deft lacquer, let set overnight. Then polished with a hunk of old wool blanket that puts the (almost) final pop to the finish. Over that I applied a coat the auto polish Trade Secret Wax, a caranuba product. (expensive, almost $50.00 for an 8 oz. can) Polished again with the wool blanket and VOILÀ. It came out ALMOST as good as I wanted.

I almost missed this thread but I'm glad I didn't. Very nice pen Frank :)

Thanks, Travis. It is now on display in the art gallery where I sell pens. Looks beautiful in the case, hoping for a quick sale. I'll be making more of that style, I really like the feel in the hand. Next pictures I take will have something in the shot to reference size as it really is a hefty pen.