Tipping DrillPress?

Art Mulder

Soooo, over in Cynthia's shop tour thread she noted that her Drillpress was chained to the wall, so it wouldn't tip over.

I've never chained up my Drillpress (DP). I've "walked" it out from the wall/corner many times when I needed to -- you tip it over a bit onto one side of the base and then angle forward and tip back to the other side, repeat until done.
I've never had it tip either.

So I'm really curious. How many of you have tipped your DP? More than once?
I don't think I've ever seen a chained DP before. :dunno:

Last edited:
Bolted mine to a wider plywood base with the edges beveled so there's not a tripping problem. About a foot wider left, right and front, and can pull it away from the wall if needed.

Only time mine was ever tipped over was when it was delivered. I'm assuming the delivery guy left it leaning up against the wall in front of the door. When I got home it was laying flat on the ground with all the packing material 'exploded' around it...

First piece of equipment I ever ordered quite a few years ago. It's still running strong...

No damage...

I've never tipped one over completely, but I've used a small floor drill press with a little base that I had to catch before. If you need it to be mobile and have a DP with a smaller base, bolting it to a piece of plywood 2'x2' would do wonders for it's stability. Also seen in a magazine somewhere a guy put a base like that on his dp and put UHMW pads on the corners so he could slide it around where he needed it.

I have walked my inherited Delta DP (from my father) around many times over the years to move it.

The new Delta that I have (2-3 years old), I would not even dream of walking. That son of a gun is HEAVY and really top heavy. Tilt it one degree too much and kiss it goodbye...nothing would stop it. I made a larger base with wheels for it. I retract the wheels when not in use. I have only moved it a couple of times. The base works well. I did a thread on it shortly after purchasing.

I am confident that it would ride out one of our Southern California earthquakes (No. Murphy you cannot play with this.). I had rolling earthquakes on my mind when I designed the base.

Enjoy,

JimB

Mines not a floor model, but I've a nice scare on top of my head that reminds me they are top heavy and I can't catch it when it's falling down...:doh: