Bloodwood Kitchen Mostly Done

That is dramatic. And expensive. Bloodwood is not an inexpensive wood. Looks great. I would not have thought of bloodwood for a kitchen but it works really well. You have a good eye for design.

Mike

Richard, are those solid wood cabinets? Is there any plywood? I've never heard of bloodwood plywood. did you veneer some ply yourself?
Thank you
Cynthia, It's all solid wood except for veneer on the side of the oven and refrigerator cabinets. I special ordered that veneer and applied it in my shop to the plywood. The cabinet boxes are made from 3/4 pre-finished maple plywood.

That looks amazing :thumb::thumb:

We're still saving up to redo our kitchen. I just hope I can get ours to look half as good.

I like how you went with laminate -- shows you can have a great looking kitchen without having to shell out the big bucks on granite or solid-surface.

outstanding work and great looking wood ,,, would love to see it up close and personal.. how was the blood wood to run the raisied panel in? shaper or a cnc work?
I ran the raised panels on my 7.5 HP shaper. It was no problem, the bloodwood machines well.

bloodwoodpanelraising1MediumMedium.jpg

I like how you went with laminate -- shows you can have a great looking kitchen without having to shell out the big bucks on granite or solid-surface.

I'm a big fan of laminate just for the cost. You can re-do a laminate countertop about three times for what you'd shell out for solid surface, stone, or a cultured stone. Swapping out the tops a great way to change the look of a kitchen cheaply.

:eek::eek:Incredible good job and a humongous amount of it. Even the microwave is matching the colour.

Aquestion if I may, does bloodwood become brown in a short time? I'm asking because I have some Padauk that has a beatiful reddish colour freshly cut but it darkens to brown pretty quickly.

:eek::eek:Incredible good job and a humongous amount of it. Even the microwave is matching the color.

A question if I may, does bloodwood become brown in a short time? I'm asking because I have some Padauk that has a beautiful reddish color freshly cut but it darkens to brown pretty quickly.
Some of the wood in the kitchen pictures are close to a year old. This was a total room remodel pretty much down to the studs. So I build the cabinets ahead of time and store them in my shop during the remodel. My research on blood says it's one of the few exotic red colored woods that hold it's color over time. I may darken some but over all it should be ok. In the picture below the bloodwood finished with a coat of shellac is about 5 years old now.

bloodwoodMedium-1.jpg

Last edited:
Richard if still have some could you please post a picture of a raw unfinished piece of your batch of bloodwood. I have a small piece and wanting to know if it will compare in color to what you have managed to draw out. I am looking to get it as red as possible without going into the darker kinda purple side. Thanks.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk

Richard if still have some could you please post a picture of a raw unfinished piece of your batch of bloodwood. I have a small piece and wanting to know if it will compare in color to what you have managed to draw out. I am looking to get it as red as possible without going into the darker kinda purple side. Thanks.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk
This picture is of two pieces of bloodwood. One is still in the ruff sawed as I got it the second is after planing with no finish.

Rawbloodwood.jpg

Some of the wood in the kitchen pictures are close to a year old. This was a total room remodel pretty much down to the studs. So I build the cabinets ahead of time and store them in my shop during the remodel. My research on blood says it's one of the few exotic red colored woods that hold it's color over time. I may darken some but over all it should be ok. In the picture below the bloodwood finished with a coat of shellac is about 5 years old now.

bloodwoodMedium-1.jpg

That answers my question, Thanks a lot for the info Richard, now I have to find a place here that sells it.