Gonna Be Short on Shop Time

Congrats! I've done the long distance thing and it's no picnic. However, work is work and the possibility of bringing it closer to home in the future is great. Best of luck!

:type:Those are good news indeed Vaughn, distances nowadays thanks to technology are shorter and shorter, and planes fly faster and faster, I'm pretty sure that you'll get used to it. All the best to you in this new singladure, and as per the shop time, I think that now you should work on keeping the balance;);) you had too much of that ( although I think that it is like clamps, you never have enough of them:D:D)

Well, Vaughn, sounds like a good opportunity as well as a challenge. However it seems now, will change as you start living it. I'm sure you and the better half will work it out. You certainly have our best wishes coming your way.

Vaughn you made my day with this news. Every guy in our age group getting off the list is cause for a celebration to me. Just sad that it has to be so far from home. I am very very happy for you my friend. Congrats.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk

I know it's something you have wanted for a while now, glad you finally found the right thing. And just think, having a job in the field of your choice could very well open up other avenues closer to home. And I'm thinking a mini lathe might just be the ticket!!! Jim.

Thanks for the well wishes, all.

At this point I'm staying away from the temptation to set up a mini shop out there, just because I don't want to have to rent a U-Haul truck to move it all back to LA when I get done. Also, space at the condo is pretty limited, and I don't have a lot of desire to turn mini lathe-sized pieces right now. I'll still be able to get my woodworking fix when I come back home on weekends, and I won't have to compromise on the tools I use. ;) Time will tell...maybe I'll do some Neander work out there. Have planes, will travel. :) Also, Michael James and Bruce Page have shops out there, so I suspect if I needed to barter for a little tool time, it could be worked out.

Larry, I'm planning to take a dog out there with me. Sasha has been my dog for over ten years, and it'd crush her for me to leave on a long term endeavor.

Based on the feedback I'm seeing on Facebook, a lot of my musician friends in ABQ are eager for me to get out there and start playing some more. Back in the day, I had a pretty respectable reputation as a player. Maybe I'll actually get myself back into presentable shape on a guitar. :eek:

Vaughn.....It's kind of mixed feelings situation. I am happy that in these tough economic times, you have found employment and yet sorry you have to be separated from your wife. As others have stated with a little understanding on both your parts it will work out. When I first got out of the Navy, I worked for a company and got home 1 weekend a month. I had a wife and 3 young kids. This lasted for 1 day shy of a full year. We survived and I know you and you wife will too.

Playing guitar again? When I get some hearing back, I'll have to travel to Albuquerque to hear you play some licks.

Good luck my friend.

Vaughn,

You have no idea how much I hope that this all works out for you.

If you get a mini-lathe, I want to see a photo. You and a mini together are something I can't quite picture.

My father's formative years were in Albuquerque. His foster father's name was Judge Mackey. No his name was not judge, he was a judge. My uncle Fred Mackey had a clothing store in town. Fred was famous for building a boat in the basement. His wife was a bit of a shrew from what I have heard. Fred had to do a lot of detail work on the boat once it was finished. He did detail work until his wife went out of town for some reason. Then Fred knocked out part of the basement wall so he could get the boat out.

I put in the bit about Fred for two reasons: One, perhaps the store is still there and Two, I don't want you to get carried away with a boat or boardroom table being made in the condo. A day when all of the other owners are not there to tattle on you, just is not going to happen.

Enjoy, good luck and bless,

JimB

Congrats on the new job... wish you well. Can't say I'm not envious of your stay in ABQ.... I've always like the city, but never had the opportunity to live there... we lived in Tucson for a short time and if I had had the choice might have gone back there for retirement... just couldn't afford the costs there. I have a sister in ABQ, or near there, she lives in Rio Rancho. She doesn't like it herself, but her husband seems to and worked for the Intel plant there.