Pencil Holder Trial

Chas Jones

Mark 2 of this idea, not sure it was worth the effort other than proving the fit of the pieces, turned out looking heavy visually to my eyes.
Need to resolve lighter looking form and simplify the assembly and machining to make them a satisfying repeat project.

Attachments

• DSCN3041 (Medium).JPG
    DSCN3041 (Medium).JPG
    46.2 KB · Views: 53
  • DSCN3039 (Medium).JPG
    DSCN3039 (Medium).JPG
    54.1 KB · Views: 42
  • DSCN3040 (Medium).JPG
    DSCN3040 (Medium).JPG
    54.6 KB · Views: 39
I'm still amazed every time I see your pinwheel blanks. I agree that something about this one doesn't feel quite right, but it's still masterfully done.

Chas,

Your beautiful pencil holders brought back a memory from high school. It was the Yo-yo craze era. I worked in the auditorium (sound). This is the second largest auditorium west of the Mississippi river. It is big. It is tall.

OK so now we have two teen agers, one of whom has the master key to this huge auditorium. The friend decided to make a large Yo-yo. It looks to me that the diameter and thickness were about the same as your pencil holder. We used my geometry and figured how long a string we would need to go from the roof to the cement below. Well, we didn't want to dink the Yo-yo so we made the string so the bottom of the Yo was about two feet above the cement.

The guy got some good strong string. We wound it onto the Yo-yo. He put a Yo-yo loop around his finger and dropped it over the side of the building. When the Yo-yo hit the end of the string, it darn near amputated his middle finger. If he is still alive, I'll bet he remembers the time very well.

If you decide to make beautiful Yo-yos you might keep that incident in mind and make the Yo-yos smaller than the pencil holders.

By the way, your pencil holders are like a very beautiful woman who could stand to lose a few pounds.

Enjoy,

JimB

Last edited:
Thanks for the comments, as I told visitor who came to pick up a piece the other day " It's getting the lathe to spin fast enough to shape the wood" that's the most difficult.

Chas,

Beautiful piece, wondering how you do that........

Visually, I agree with the "heavy", altho' it depends upon the aspect of the picture. Wonder if staggering the two outside discs, so the woods don't line up, would help?

Thanks for sharing.

Rich