Do I HAVE to paint over primer?

Tom Baugues

I need to paint the walls of my new shop. The walls are OSB plywood. I've decided to use an Oil based primer. After buying the primer I got to thinking....do I HAVE to paint over the primer? I want white walls. The primer is white. Is there any reason that I HAVE to apply paint over the primer? I'm thinking two or three coats of primer and I should be good.

on mine tom, i used the primer to seal the osb then gave it two coats of top coat which was semi gloss,, makes sweeping the cob webs off easier than a dull primer would..

On metal yes because the primer is somewhat porous as this aids adhesion of the paint to the metal. Larry answered the rest as best I think it could be. I did the same with mine, primer and then two coats of gloss white. Makes it brighter and easier to sweep down.

Well, I'm going to go the other way. I put 2 coats of Kilz II (latex) on my OSB walls and ceiling and left it that way. It has a slightly grey tint, but is basically white. I figured if I ever needed to paint, no problem. In 5 years I haven't found a need. Jim.

Well, I'm going to go the other way. Jim.

Oh thanks Jim...now I'm totally confused...:dunno: No seriously....Actually I think this was just my "cheap" side kicking in and hoping to save $15.00 on paint. God knows I've spent evough on this project already. I'll put the primer on and see what it looks like then make a decision. I got the last wallboard put up tonight so painting will be next but my work schedule has me busy non-stop for the next two weeks so I'm not going to get anything done till then.