Turning Oak and finishing question

Dom DiCara

I have been using oak to practice turning and have a question on finishing.

What I am really looking for in a finish is for the grain to really pop and at the same time to give the pieces I am turning a very high gloss finish.

I have tried every product available it seems, and the results are good, but not what I see posted on the forums. Can one one you expert turners give me a finish schedule that you would follow to achieve that high gloss finish?

I have the buffers all set up, paper at the ready, and I await your advice.

Thanks folks

Oak is a wood with an extremely open grain, therefore I don't try to give it a "grand piano" type gloss finish.

However, if you want to try, you need to start with a grain filler. Even though oak is a light wood, you want a dark grain filler to emphasize rather than hide the grain. Once you have filled the grain and sanded the surface smooth (maybe filled it a couple times, sanding back to the wood each time) you are ready to start finishing towards that gloss look.

My favorite grain filler is Behlen brown. It is water base, and fills the grain with a mineral. It is hard to wipe, but dries quickly and sands easily, and any finish goes on top of it. See http://www.woodcraft.com/Product/2004493/8464/WaterBased-Grain-Filler-Brown-1-Quart.aspx#Information

Although I don't use grain filler, I agree completely with Charlie. To get a "piano gloss" finish on oak, you'll need something to fill the pores, and grain filler fits the bill perfectly.

ditto and note Charlie said "back to wood" :) Otherwise you will be adding finish like snow on mountains but it aint gonna be flat ask me how i know ;)

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk

Agree with all posted thus far. I don't like to turn oak. I know many do but I find it stringy-grainy and difficult to get a clean or smooth surface on with the tools. Just not a fun wood to turn, IMHO.

I agree about it not being fun. But for someone like me that is just getting his feet wet in "Lathe Land"......using the firewood I got was an economical way of learning to sharpen, techniques, etc. My cheapness is showing:D

Oak is a wood with an extremely open grain, therefore I don't try to give it a "grand piano" type gloss finish.

However, if you want to try, you need to start with a grain filler. Even though oak is a light wood, you want a dark grain filler to emphasize rather than hide the grain. Once you have filled the grain and sanded the surface smooth (maybe filled it a couple times, sanding back to the wood each time) you are ready to start finishing towards that gloss look.

My favorite grain filler is Behlen brown. It is water base, and fills the grain with a mineral. It is hard to wipe, but dries quickly and sands easily, and any finish goes on top of it. See http://www.woodcraft.com/Product/2004493/8464/WaterBased-Grain-Filler-Brown-1-Quart.aspx#Information

Charlie, Rob, Vaughn, you guys hit the ball out of the park. Like I said I ordered the Behlen grain filler in brown and it arrived yesterday. I used the product, sanded to 800, the used spray lacquer, sanded down a couple of rough areas. Then I used the buffer.

Let me tell you....those that say it is hard to get that "baby grand" piano finish are wrong. The piece I made looks like a piece of cut marble.

Thanks again for the advice......and I just wanted y'all to know that it worked better then I could have imagined. Pics coming when the LOML gets home.

Thanks again

DSCN5496.JPGDSCN5497.JPGDSCN5500.JPGDSCN5498.JPGDSCN5499.JPG

Okay...I hope they come out

*Sorry for the fuzzy pics. The best I could do right now.

Last edited:
Charlie....boy were you and everyone else right about the grain filler. Some new vase I turned from the firewood are some of the best (I think) pieces I have turned and finished.

Thanks again for all the help.