A SketchUp Model From a Photo

Wow Dave Sketchup just seems to get better and better.
As a matter of interest is this feature available in the free version?
You have a knack for making this stuff seem so easy to do.
Thanks for posting here Dave.

Btw i am in the throws of planning an upgrade to my computer for top performance with sketchup what specific element of the computer does sketchup require to perform at its best.
Thinking here of sketchup pro as well.
I noted you mentioning that it still only runs on one core processor so how does one get exceptional performance from it.
Even considering a dedicated pc for it.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk

Hi Rob,

Thank you very much.

The Match Photo thing is available in both pro and free versions of SketchUp so anyone can do this sort of thing. It really is quite easy. the difficult thing is finding photos that are usable. If you use your own, it's pretty easy but found images can sometimes be a problem.

As to your new computer, the key thing is that you want a video card that supports OpenGL. Some don't. SketchUp seems to like the nVidia chipsets for graphics better than others. Also you want the graphics card to have a lot of RAM.

SketchUp won't use more than 1 core of a multi-core processor but you may have other applications that do. I think quad-cores are pretty common these days and it won't hurt to have one of them. There are a lot of folks out there that think SketchUp will run faster on a 64-bit but it's a 32-bit thing. It'll run on 64-bit but there won't be a performance improvement. Think down the road a ways and let that be the guide. If you are planning to dedicate a computer just to SketchUp, concentrate on the graphics card and get plenty of RAM and graphics RAM.