List the three most relevant things you learnt thus far in working wood.

Rob Keeble

With recognition that there are many newbies to woodworking and many advanced woodworkers here, i thought it would be great to list our three most relevant lessons learnt to date in our woodworking life.

To date for me :

1) Sharpening has to be my biggest.
2) The value of a woodworking workbench.
3) Beginning to start down the long road of learning to finish. (thanks to many of you here this road has been made much easier)

So whats yours......

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk

For me, the following have proven to be most relevant, I think:

1. If you want to do it, you probably can!
2. Talent, not tools, create a project.
3. Sharp tools are safer tools.

Number three might be counter-intuitive but I've hurt myself more with a dull tool than one that is properly sharpened!

1. It's not a mistake if you can fix it.
2. There's nothing that I can't build.
3. There is more than one way to build a project and there is no such thing as one way being the correct way to do it.

Figure out how long something will take. Then double it, and add an order of magnitude. If it *should* take one day, budget two weeks... ;)

No amount of skill or enthusiasm will replace a good tool.

Accuracy is worth everything required to achieve it.

And the one immutable rule: I should never underestimate my own capacity for foolishness! ;)

Thanks,

Bill

1. Slow Down!!
2. Get out of the shop if you feel tired.
3. If you feel in any way it is unsafe, it is. Stop, rethink, do it the safe way.

1. SLOOOOW DOOOOWN!!!!

2. Remember that whatever task you are working on at that moment is the most important thing in the world.....pay attention.

3. Asking a question at Family Woodworking.org gets a reponse, not ridicule. (no Question is stupid)

Some have already said these:

1. If you're tired, get out of the shop. There are too many ways to get hurt.
2. No one is born with woodworking skills. It's learned, and anyone with patience and persistence can learn at least basic skills.
3. There are no Woodworking Police. If I think it looks good (and it's for me) then it looks good.
4. If you can't see it while galloping by on a horse, then it's not a mistake.
5. This is the best woodworking forum peopled by the best group on the internet. (I stop random people on the street to tell them that.) ;o)

1. Dust collection is critical, there are rarely second chances.
2. Shop safety is critical. there are rarely second chances.
3. Sharp cutters will make a poor tool better, dull cutters will make a great tool poor.

There are so many more but, trying for a quick top three is fun ;-)

With recognition that there are many newbies to woodworking and many advanced woodworkers here, i thought it would be great to list our three most relevant lessons learnt to date in our woodworking life.

To date for me :

1) Sharpening has to be my biggest.
2) The value of a woodworking workbench.
3) Beginning to start down the long road of learning to finish. (thanks to many of you here this road has been made much easier)

So whats yours......

For me,
#1: Equipment is everything
#2: Keep things clean and picked up
#3: Keep equipment sharp, polished/slippery, and maintained.

Before somebody blasts me for saying equipment is everything, talent can only get you so far. You can be the best driver in the world, you aren't going to finish the Indy500 well in a Ford Tempo. But, talent and patience can get you around most hurdles, it just takes you longer.

Last edited:
1.The most important tool I have in the shop is my brain.
When its had enough for a day, the rest of the tools are useless
2.Proper tool maintanence and proper tools makes a huge difference for me.
3.Pay attention to any machine that is turned on. Nothing else matters except safety as soon as the machine is on.

1. No piece will ever be perfect. I strive for it, but there is always something...
2. We play with unforgiving machines. Respect is rule one....
3. If I really knew how long some projects would take, I wouldn't of started them....

For some reason, the first three that come to mind all involve sharpness.

1. Sharp tools are key. And like Stu said, what you think is sharp probably isn't.

2. Know where your fingers, hands, clothing, and hair are at all times when using tools, especially sharp or spinning ones.

3. Never push a blade in the direction of something you don't want to cut. And the corrolary: Never push something that you don't want to cut in the direction of the blade.

3. Asking a question at Family Woodworking.org gets a reponse, not ridicule. (no Question is stupid)

Well, that's a pretty lame item for the list. :rolleyes:

(Sorry Don, somebody had to ridicule that one.) :rofl: