right handed or left handed use of planes question

I'm right handed and I hold the chisel with my left hand unless I need to get to something the other way. But most times that ends up with a hammer hand introduction:thumb:
Which is better than a hammer face introduction. :thumb:And yes I have done that :rofl::rofl::rofl:

Can someone tell me please. How do right handed individuals hold a bench plane? With which hand on the tote?
Being a contrary guy, I use either hand on either end (although I use a low angle jack a lot more than a bench plane). This give a slight angle to the blade, which sometimes is better in one direction than the other - like on the edge of a drawer, planing dovetails, or with figured wood.

I go one farther. Sometimes a get a longish board clamped up in my shop and it would be easier to pull the plane than to get around behind and push. I checked with some of my friends who work for Lie Nielsen, and they thought it would be fine to pull a plane - God probably wouldn't strike me with lightning for pulling rather than pushing.

Well Charlie i dont think you contrary, the Japanese pull their planes and i think that its more comfortable than the push. Same goes for their saws as wel most know they cut on the pull rather than the push.

th_evil_eyes.jpg

...what about chisels? Do right handed people hold the chisel or the mallet in the right hand?

With a few exceptions, it's the same as driving a nail. Typically the dominant hand runs the hammer, while the other hand holds the nail.

And Bill, you've got a great evil eye. :clap:

Well, I'm sad to report that I'm more weird than I thought. I'm right-handed for most things, and use a hammer in the right hand, but I use a mallet in the left hand, tote in the left hand, (used to) wakeboard with right foot forward (goofy) etc. etc. It's funny because no one ever showed me how to use woodworking tools, so I just picked them up the way it felt "right".

I am naturally right handed, but I often use my tools left handed when the angles I have to work at make it necessary. I've used hammers, drills, screwdrivers and planes this way, proving that I am pretty ambiguous. Er, ambivalent? Amphibian?

I'm one of those annoying people that holds it whichever way gets the job done. I'm definitely better with my right holding the tote or the mallet but, use things both ways. Probably due to all those years in silly-cone-valley standing around in co-lo's with your laptop balanced on one hand while you type with the other, get tired and swap, then swap back, rinse and repeat.

....proving that I am pretty ambiguous. Er, ambivalent? Amphibian?

If you are really looking for the word, it is ambidextrous.

I agree that virtually all tools can be used either way, as required by the work and wood grain. I even got an instructor to agree that it was fine to pull rather than push an American plane, Japanese style.