How do people demand so much for the work?

I just wrote the next sentence and deleted the mass of stuff I wrote that preceded it.

Dang it, all of the stuff I am saying is to tell you to do quality work, quality design, in a facility that looks like you know what you are doing, know your work is good, ask for a proper fee with confidence.

Your fees cannot exceed your facilities. You cannot ask 2,500 dollars for an end table at an art fair or renaissance fair and expect to get it. You can ask a better price for your "fair" type product than you think you can however.

Long ago Pogo said, "We have met the enemy, He is us." I cannot over stress that woodworkers in general are their own worst enemy with pricing. O.K. True Story: This was roughly 50 years ago. I put in the era so you would realize that things were much cheaper then. No matter how complicated, how many visits were required or how much time the dental problem took, this dentist could not bring himself to charge over 500 dollars. The guy had some brains though, so he went to a psychologist and told him his problem.

As the doc said, "After the 'therapy' series I could quote 2,500 dollars and not bat an eye."

Enjoy,

JimB

Oh, Pogo was a cartoon character in the comics many years ago.

Last edited:
John, I don't think it is "Demand" but "Command" so much money. Somewhere along the line they have received praise, advertisement, photo ops, word of mouth or something in their favor. The "right" client bought their work, others had to have what that person had (regardless of who made it at that time) and the ball started rolling. Eventually the ball stops rolling or it snowballs and then the old customer list creates new needs amongst new customers and then it creates an avalanche.