pipe clamp question

makes more sense to add on extension rather than have one long piece cynthia,, to a point.. you dont want 4-12" pieces to get a 48" clamp.. so use some logic when getting your pipe:)

This is a great opportunity to use old scale clogged, rusty (on the inside) pipe that plumbers pull out and replace with new technology, and then have to struggle to discard the old pipes. The price on those pipes (useless on the inside, fine on the outside) are usually free or close to it.

This is a great opportunity to use old scale clogged, rusty (on the inside) pipe that plumbers pull out and replace with new technology, and then have to struggle to discard the old pipes. The price on those pipes (useless on the inside, fine on the outside) are usually free or close to it.

Charlie, if I got some of this old (free) pipe, how would I thread it? and what would it be made of?

Irwin Pipe Clamps

I've got to add my 2 cents worth.
Do NOT buy Irwin pipe clamps !!!
I did when I first needed pipe clamps because they looked very promising by not needing a threaded end. Infinite adjustability I thought. I needed 60" at that time but thought that without the threads, I'd use them for basically anything up to 60" at other times. But, the foot :)huh:) end will not stay in position while trying to tighten the opposite end. They keep rolling over to one side or the other making a helper a very needed necessity.
Just my rant and I'm done now. :wave:
BTW, I have 4 3/4" sets for sale if anyone is interested. :rofl:

The best pipe clamps I've found are the 3/4" bessey H bottom clamps. They stand up (ones with smaller feet fall over just when you put your panel on them), and the feet are high enough that you can turn the crank without hitting the bench (or floor, if you clamp on the floor).

I replaced all my older pipe clamps with those Besseys.

Mike

I've got to add my 2 cents worth.
Do NOT buy Irwin pipe clamps !!!
I did when I first needed pipe clamps because they looked very promising by not needing a threaded end. Infinite adjustability I thought. I needed 60" at that time but thought that without the threads, I'd use them for basically anything up to 60" at other times. But, the foot :)huh:) end will not stay in position while trying to tighten the opposite end. They keep rolling over to one side or the other making a helper a very needed necessity.

Just my rant and I'm done now. :wave:
BTW, I have 4 3/4" sets for sale if anyone is interested. :rofl:
You can go ahead and mail them to me.:thumb::thumb::thumb:

Yes the pipe has to have threads on one end , it is best though to have both ends threaded to enable you to use a coupling fitting to make the clamps longer as needed.

I disagree with this to some extent. I like having the end of the clamp as smooth as possible. Slightly less likely to ding something up when I'm inattentive in my handling.

but.... I've got probably 40 pipe clamps floating around the shop from 30" opening, to a handful of 96" opening.