• I never consider it in design

Votes: 4 12.9%
  • I use my own design ratios

Votes: 6 19.4%
  • What's the Golden Ratio?

Votes: 4 12.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
After reading about classic design ratios, I began to think about the golden ratio when laying out something new. I was surprised when many items fell on or near the 'golden ratio' without conscious effort. A good book on the subject is "Geometry of Design" by Kimberly Elam.

I use many types of ratios to help me and the golden rule is just one of them. Google George Walker or see his DVDs at Lie Nielsen about design work and classic ratios.

I always consider it when working out a design. Many other contributing factors are included; scale of space to be occupied, scale of other furniture items (if known), my own personal preference, etc. The ratio can definitely assist in providing guidelines for new designs that are created in a vacuum . . . er, I mean in my head.

I very seldom consider the Golden Ratio when I'm designing a piece. I do, however, notice from time to time that one or more aspects of the finished piece do indeed align to the Golden Ratio.

+1 for sometimes. Initial sketches just to please the eye. Maybe I'll do the math and see how close it comes, but usually if it pleases my eye that's good enough for me.

Using the golden ratio allows me to turn my favorite box designs from any piece of wood based upon its starting size. When I cut the blank I make the cut to appropriately size it so that the finished product will closely approximate the golden ratio.