Bench Grinder Advice

Okay, just one more question before I go in the shop! :rofl: ;)

LOML wants to buy a bench grinder. He wants to buy a really good one, because he will be using it constantly in his "hot rod" shop. I, of course, will use it but not very often for my own tools. He wants to spend in the $300-750 range. He wants it quiet, low vibration, solid, good tool rests, etc. He has heard of Baldor and Dayton.

Can anyone give us some advice or recommendations?

Not to go against the grain here, but I have two "bench grinders". One is an old Craftsman that lives in my mower shack and is used for sharpening lawn care stuff. The other is a variable-speed Delta with a coarse wheel on one side and a fine wheel (white) on the other. It's used strictly for woodworking tools. Almost forgot the slow-speed sharpening system (Grizzly) with its small high-speed wheel and large wheel that goes through a water bath.

To answer the question: Baldor
But, I have garage sale grinders, an old Crafstman and a newer Woodcraft with sharpening only wheels on it. I prefer the versatility of several and low prices of the garage sale/flea market stuff. $5.00 is a long ways from $750.00 and, if needed, replacement wheels are not expensive.

Baldor will last forever. You will be able to include it in your will. There is not a smoother running more reliable machine. Don't be shocked at the price.

I just put a Oneway grinder wheel balancing system on mine and that is the only improvement I can suggest other than going the whole way and buying a Baldor grinder and equipping it with BN wheels. If you do that I want to be in your will.

I had Baldor equipment in my office. Used in optical stuff and frame polishing. It was in the office I went into right after getting my doc degree and Calif. License. I don't know how long it had been used in that office. I know the office was opened in 1914. Anyway I let it go when I retired the third time and sold the office and all of its contents.

Baldor is Smooth and Quiet. It is well worth the time if you balance the grinding wheels on any machine when you install the grinding wheels.

Do get a grinder that can handle wheels one-inch or more thick for your tool sharpening.

Do not purchase smaller than will accept eight-inch diameter grinding-wheels.

You will want wheels that keep your tools cool; wheels that are quite friable. I suggest Norton SG Wheels if you are willing to pay the price. Less expensive and still good are: Norton 32A and 3X grinding wheels. In machine shop use, these wheels wear very quickly and unevenly. However, when used for woodworking tools the stones last a long time and you do not have to "true" them very often. The Norton wheels are available at Craft Supplies USA and many other places.

Strongly suggest "His" and "Hers" grinders. The two different uses are really incompatible.

You will have to watch out for a mechanic using the grinder for his purposes because the wheel surface will probably be made uneven. Uneven wheels will raise heck with your woodworking blades.

Enjoy,

JimB

Last edited:
By the way, for what it is worth, Doug Thompson uses Dayton grinders in his shop to do the initial grinding on his tools. He swears by them and they are much cheaper, around $300 or so.

I suppose if they are good enough for a professional they should be good enough for us. I don't have any experience with them.

Cynthia in my view I definitely dont think you need to budget the huge amount you mention for this purpose.

My views

Min 8 inch or bigger.
Jim said it....his and hers.....the two applications are incompatible.
Buy one way balancing kits and balance all wheels use.
Buy more than one grinder each.
Example
Glassman needs course wheels and even he two wheels of different grits then second grinder ...one with wire wheel and other with sisel buff.
You
Slow speed 60 grit Norton 8" wheel and either 80 or higher grit.

Go to Princess Auto, you can get very reasonable grinders there that will be way leas expensive and more than do the job especially if you add the balancing wheels. Dont buy wheels there and toss out the wheels that come with the grinder.
Look for grinders with decent tool stands to rest you object on, look for grinders with task lights mounted on the grinder , look for face shields. Then check out how the wheels are secured. Why?
When you balance, its not a one time thing. As you wear your wheel you and Glassman will need to rebalance the wheel.
In your case going Neander consider a worksharp and also consider for both you and glass man again each to his own a 1" belt sander. This is a very hand tool i have found and for more than just woodworking or car mechanics.

For the kind of loot you mention in my view you could pull off the above, buy good machines and have change left over and both have what you need. :)
Were you guys starting a grinding shop with employees that are going to be grinding parts all day or buying a machine with a motor thats gonna run many times all day long in use then i would say layout the loot for baldor. Eaxmple i did on my dust collector.
But i personally dont agree for a hobbyist even serious ones.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk

I can't imagine why he would want to spend so much on a bench grinder. I've done 2 frame on and 1 frame off restorations on muscle cars and never needed more than a $100 craftsman. He'll use a hand grinder a lot more than a bench grinder.