Mesquite Hollow Form

Vaughn McMillan

Administrator
Staff member
I figured it's about time I got around to posting some new photos of turned work. I really have been turning quite a bit...just not finishing up with my photos like I should. This is another piece from my mesquite haul from earlier this year. It's about 12" wide and 6 3/4" tall. Nothing fancy...I just burned the rim and finished it with just BLO and Renaissance Wax. I'm really liking that combination on mesquite. I just give it two or three weeks to cure before I buff it.

Click on the pics to see a bigger view...

Comments, critiques, and questions are welcome as always. :D

You have a way with wood. The form and way that you managed that grain swirling just past the opening well that does it. I like the finish on this one. Lets the wood do the talking. :) Man i am gonna miss seeing your turnings. Darn economy.:(

Great piece of wood Vaughn, not being an artistic guy myself I still manage to appreciate the form you've achieved with the continuous flowing curves and the apparent lightness the form instills.
Keep wanting to ignore the shape though and just soak in the wood figuring displayed in the top surface.

P.S. how did you get it to flow around the opening?

Last edited:
That is a great looking piece you got there Vaughn.... a piece of mesquite is what got me into turning.... I saw a guy's bowl down in a Fredericksberg, TX gallery and fell in love with the idea of wood turning... haven't regretted a minute of it since.

another nice one vaughn:) but i got a picture question for you,, what is your schedule of making a pic for the forum.. these are bigger in the forum than most of the ones i have looked at outside the forum? from others and these get bigger when clicked on .. so how do you do this???

Thanks for the compliments, guys. I'm gonna miss this mesquite when it's all gone.

another nice one vaughn:) but i got a picture question for you,, what is your schedule of making a pic for the forum.. these are bigger in the forum than most of the ones i have looked at outside the forum? from others and these get bigger when clicked on .. so how do you do this???

I'm doing tricks with photos that are uploaded to one of my own websites. I post a 600 pixel image here, then make that image a link to a 1200 pixel version of the same image. Both images are hosted on my Workingwoods website. Since I post photos on several different forums, it's something that I can simply cut and paste to other sites and still have it display the same way. And that way, I don't have to deal with uploading the individual photos to each of the different forums.

Here's what the code looks like:

HTML:
[url=http://workingwoods.com/2011 production/VM 1030 01 - 1200.jpg][img]http://workingwoods.com/2011 production/VM 1030 01 - 600.jpg[/img][/url]