RazorBack Bench

BENCH - RAZORBACK - 3 (Small).jpgBENCH - RAZORBACK - 2 (Small).jpgBENCH - RAZORBACK (Small).jpg I was going to make this bench for my son for Christmas out of 2"/10"/8' Pine but it worked out where there was a funeral Home that was re-modeling and went and picked-up two 10 footer church pews for free . Well here is that Beautiful pew that was Oak , I cut it down to 5' long and I stripped the whole thing and free hand Routed the Razorback into the back . Well all I like it two coats of Polly and it'll be ready for him for Christmas , the picture here does it no justice for this Oak poped when I put the light stain on it . any comments are welcome ...........MB:wave:

Ah, the Church of the Running Razorback. I understand thousands of fans parishioners attend services on Sundays. :D

Very nice work, Marshall. :thumb:

Agree, that is a pretty amazing free hand job on the Razorback. Did you put some stain in the routed-out section?
I usually use woodconditioner on my wood before I stain - cause if you don't it'll stain those open grains darker - and this is what I wanted to happen - so I didn't use the woodconditioner . thanks for so asking this - for this brain storm hit me before the finishing started ..........MB

A small trim router and a 1/4" letter making bit , and I also used a roto-zip to clean the grooves out better . This was the first time I'd use this Roto-zip since I brought it some 6 years ago , just never found the use for it until now . .................thanks for your comments Allen ...........

Im going to pickup a small trim router, been on my list.
Tell me what you think of me using your idea.
Im going to make a set of adult and a set of childrens adirondack chairs for my brand new neighbor.
He grew up in Delaware and is a big Philadelphia baseball fan.

Using your idea, if I clamped together all the slats of the adirondack chair before I assemble them, then rout out the philly team emblem, (its a big P I believe, shouldnt be that hard to use a copy machine and trace it), then attach the slats, do you think the space between the slats will ruin the routed out emblem?

(this will be a march or april project for me)

Sorry it took me so long to answer back , as long as you don't go too deep - 1/4" is deep enought or even a little less . Just make sure that Allen that you put extra stain in the grooves of the routeing out part - this will make it stand out more .......hope this also helps you also.........MB

If you are worried about the carving looking strange when gaps are inserted, why not just put scrap spacers (fillers or whatever you want to call them) in place. The spacers would give the carving the correct look when the chair is assembled. Then the spacers become firewood.

Enjoy,

JimB

Marshall I missed this thread and now i am glad i got to see it.
That bench spoke to me. Love everything about it wood, style, and razorback is the cherry on top. Did you originate the razor back image?
If you got that talent as well as the woodworking part, buy that CnC is what i say. Thats awesome.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk

When first I read the title of your post Marshall, I didn't understand what was going about (language barrier of course) and I thought of a bench in a razorback shape or similar. Now that I've seen the pics I just love it! Congratulations for such an effective project and decoration.!

Using your idea, if I clamped together all the slats of the adirondack chair before I assemble them, then rout out the philly team emblem, (its a big P I believe, shouldnt be that hard to use a copy machine and trace it), then attach the slats, do you think the space between the slats will ruin the routed out emblem?

Allen, I agree completely with Jim Bradley and I would proceed as he suggests, when looking at the routed emblem the brain of the viewer will fill in the gaps without a problem perceiving the emblem as a whole. For the same reason if you don't use the spacers the emblem will be perceived as if it had been stretched.

Marshall I missed this thread and now i am glad i got to see it.
That bench spoke to me. Love everything about it wood, style, and razorback is the cherry on top. Did you originate the razor back image?
If you got that talent as well as the woodworking part, buy that CnC is what i say. Thats awesome.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk
Hey Rob : Well the Razorback was a Pattern I'd work on for some time - it started out just a small 4"x6" and had a friend that I work with blow it up to the three foot size pattern that I ended up using . Those massive big company printers are the cat's Meow ........I'm not not that talented - wish I was ...............MB

DSCF0170 (Small).JPG This is a picture of the finished product , and my son loved his surprize Christmas present . Said it was going in his living room when the Christmas tree came down , I'm so happy he liked it ............MB :thumb: :thumb: