My Turn to Vent: Friday Update

Some of you know I'm going away for a few days because my 22 year old daughter is having hernia surgery. Okay, it's not a brain transplant, but it's still surgery under general anesthesia. It's "Day Surgery" now. The kind of surgery you used to spend several days in the hospital for.

She acts likes she going for a flu shot. She's not stupid. She's applying to Ph.D. programs. This was tonight's conversation:

Me: "Honey, give me a couple of phone numbers of your friends. I'm going to need some help getting you from the car to your room when we come home from the hospital." (Her house is up a steep hill--think Everest--and I'll be parking at the bottom of it.)

Daughter: "MOM DON'T TELL ME THAT. I'll be fine! I'll be fine! We don't need any help! If I can't get up that hill, I'll do whatever you tell me for the rest of my life!"

Me: :rolleyes:

Daughter: "Can we go out for dinner afterwards?"

Me: "The night of surgery? No."

Daughter: "WHY NOT? I'LL BE FINE! YOU'RE FULL OF ANXIETY AND BAD VIBES."

Me: :huh: :rolleyes: "You can have some chicken soup and gingerale."

Daughter: "YOU'VE GOT TO BE KIDDING," shrieking into the phone.

Daughter: "When I get to the hospital do I have to take my clothes off?"

Me: "No. Of course not. :rolleyes:"

So this weekend, while most of you are snarfing down turkey, think of me. Some people say I was just like that when I was her age. But they're wrong. I WAS NOT! :p

Last edited:
did your daughter really say "BAD VIBES"?? srsly?

I hope things go smoothly, but even so I think your daughter is in for quite the "Learning Experience"... :eek:

yup,, tell her after it wears off that you have gone threw worse just having the two youguns you have and just think you got that to look forward to.. best type of birth control for the price:)

Wow, had a dejavu moment, sounded like a conversation between my wife and daughter. Have a happy turkey day, hope she heals as quickly as she things (not over doing it of course)

Well if her is anything like my double I was in and out , laperscopic ? through the belly no pain. But they say no pain no gain LOL

Dave, is that because you have no feelings? :rofl:

I have 2 points of reference. My uncle had it done (laparoscopic) and he was hunched over for a week (I know because I took care of him and stayed with him.) and a 30 year old girlfriend had it, and she's really fit and trim, always hopping skipping jumping. She had it done on a Fri and told me she'd be at work on Monday. But she didn't come to work until Thurs...for a half day. She was not in great shape either for a week.....No matter what, I don't expect her to be A) eating cheeseburgers and fries that night B) going to any parties or C) waltzing up that hill to her place. And my daughter is very tiny and *very* fit and trim. She's a very tough little thing mentally and physically. Remember Ed Harris in "Apollo 13"?

Last edited:
Had mine (umbilical) done a year or so ago.

Prior to surgery, surgeon said "This'll cause you some discomfort for a few days..." I asked: "what? Tylenol discomfort?" He answered: "No! Percodan discomfort!"

He was right! I hardly moved from reclining on the couch for a couple days. By the fourth or fifth day, though, I was pretty much pain free.

Your daughter likely won't even want to get out of the car when you get her home. Your chance to say "I told you so!" :D

for me the worst pain I ever felt was splitting my left tibia from my knee to my ankle and sinus surgery, everything else has been a walk in the park. My hernia was very minor and I was back working the in in a week just because the Doc said to take it easy because they could tear. I did not want that to happen. Ice cream and TV for a week. LOL

Thanks Mohammad. I think she's being aggressive and irrational because she's afraid and does not like to appear vulnerable. So I just try to defuse it as much as possible and maneuver around her to make sure she has the best care, whether she likes it or not. In cases like this (and there have been others), I keep a low profile, but in a year or two, I usually get a "you were right, mom, and I was wrong." She'll get it--eventually. ;)

Cynthia.....from someone who has had 2 hernia surgeries....have her doctor tell her how many people have to go back and get it done all over again because they did something they shouldn't have. (Like walking up a steep driveway)

Hope this helps and good luck