How much is Cherry wood going for these days?

Tom Baugues

I found a person that says they have some rough cut Cherry wood. They tell me the planks are about 1 1/2 in. thick and 6-8 inches wide. About 5 foot long each. They estimate there to be about 80 bf. So I'm guessing to be about 20 planks?
I have not seen it yet. I will do so tomorrow. What's it worth?

I pay about $4.00/bf for KD select and better grades and $2.15/bf for KD common grade. Plus I get a discount when I bring them coffee and donuts :D I always buy the common in 8-10 ft. lengths.

I wouldn't pay your guy any more than $1.50-2.00/bf because the pieces are so short. It would be great to have the stuff but you are limited in what you can make with such short pieces.

100_0564 (Small).JPGOk, here is what I got. The lumber was longer than the lady told me through e-mail. Most of the boards are over 8 ft long. Most of them are 6-8 inches wide. A couple of them are cupped pretty bad and a couple of them have bark still on them so I will lose a lot when those get planed down. There were 15 boards in all.
When I got there the lady told me that she just needed to get her garage cleaned out so she could get her car inside for the winter. (This lumber was the least of her problems as far as that goes) she also told me that I was the only one to respond to her ad so she said that she wanted to make sure I took it all. She asked for $20.00 for it all so I loaded it up and left happy with that. It rained on my way home and a couple of them got wet but not too bad. I don't make large projects so I think I will be able to plane this down and cut it up and get many good small projects from it.

Oh, I forgot to mention that. I hope that isnt going to be a problem. I do not know exactly what that is. It is very hard. It might just be some kind of paint. It is on pretty thick. At first I thought it might be like roofing tar, but I don't think so. Each board has about the same amount on each end. It looks like each board was maybe "dipped" into what ever it is. I dont think it is too hard for a planer to remove though.

Looks like you both got what you wanted and a good deal for you to boot. :thumb:

Well.......you see.... since I'm putting in a new shop I have all kinds of "stuff" sitting out in my garage as well. This just adds to it. I'll be able to store this wood and lots of other "stuff" into my new shop once it's done but until then....I can't park my truck in my own garage.:doh:

tom, with the price you paid for that, Id cut those ends off before Id run some unknown substance through the planer.
storing lumber is easy.
put in some brackets high so you can pull the truck in, theres a ton of wasted storage space high on the walls.

Last edited: