I'm Looking for Opinions on Woodworking Video

I'd like to get some opinions.

I watch a lot of ww videos. I enjoy "steveinmarin" on youtube and he has a lot of them. However, I find his hands are WAY TOO CLOSE to the blade of his saws most of the time. Do you think so too? :eek: :doh:

Here's an example. If you don't want to watch the whole video, then watch minutes 6:30 to 8:30 and you'll see him make a few different cuts on his table saw and then his chop saw.

Tell me what you think.........

I am probably not a good person to say, as I feel most everyone have their hands too close to the blade, but I agree. I would not feel comfortable doing what he did and would use some aid to push the wood through. I also did not like how he made the cove cut at the beginning. I would have use a push block on that cut also.

Last edited:
Steve is a little casual for me also. Unfortunately even the most professional of our periodicals will sometimes show methods and techniques that make me pucker. I am disappointed less in a respected woodworker for doing these things (although that is disturbing) than I am in the editors of the video for letting these "moments on film" escape into the wild. I would go for bulk content and apply your own common sense to proximity or approach ;-) BTW, I find the very inexpensive yearly subscription to Fine Woodworking Magazine's online offering to be well worth the cost and it is a fraction of many video media format items you might buy.

I agree with Bill about the way the cove cut was done at the beginning of the video. A safer alternative would have been to add a rail to either side of the blade to hold the workpiece above the blade, then reduce the height of the rails. As to the rest of the table saw work, I'd say it's typical for an experienced woodworker but I'd use push blocks in some situations.

The worst offense was at the chop saw. No doubt, Steve felt safe making the cut the way he did but there are better ways, like using a longer piece of scrap so your fingers are farther from the blade or using a hold-down stick (pencil?) so your hand is above and farther from the blade.

Well Cynthia you need to do what your gut says but I didn't see anything wrong. Cut on the tablesaw like that all the time.
001.JPG
Only thing different I would have done is use a zero clearance insert to keep that thin strip from falling between the blade and the insert.

I know I'll catch some grief but such is life. For me anything narrower than what he is cutting I'll use a push stick but not for the width he was cutting.

have done the same as him in the past and may in the future on some of those operations but do use a push stick as much as i can..fingers dont grow back well..just ask charlies neil and steve southwood maybe dom as well..

Yes it is a dangerous hobby and occupation. I've had to pick up and dig out from the bottom of the saw many a persons fingers cause they weren't paying attention to what they were doing on the saw.

The saw will tell you many things while your cutting thru feel sight and sounds. You just need to pay attention to them and understand what they are telling you.

To me starting the cove cuts the way he did would make me pretty nervous but although it's potentially dangerous I'm pretty sure most of us make cuts on the TS the same way from time to time. I don't see it as a big deal.

I bought the Gripper system 5 or 6 months ago and it was sitting unopened in a drawer. I totally forgot about it until the 2x4 contest started. I used it to cut up all the small pieces for the little picnic table. That thing is a finger saver :thumb: