Afromosia Coffee Table

Bruce Moffitt

Up to now I have been sparying laquer on all of the furniture that I make. I would apprecieate any suggestions for finish on a Afromosia Coffee Table I just built. I would like to get a nice rich finish on this table. It has been sanded using 150 grit paper and I will apply the finish before I assemble it. I was considering a water based finish from target that was a clear stain base (emulsified linseed oil) and a top coat of Conversion Varnish but this is looking expensive for a one time application. Any suggestions would be apprecieated.

I switched from solvent lacquer to Target coatings and never looked back. My primary finish is EM6000 lacquer, which has full burn in like solvent lacquer, but I also use EM2000 for indoor-outdoor varnish, EM8000 as a conversion varnish (for a harder finish), EM1000 as a sanding sealer, etc.

If you are just getting started, I would use a dewaxed shellac (Zinser seal coat) to pop the color and grain, then either EM6000 for a lacquer finish, or EM8000 if you want a varnish finish. That means you only have to buy one material to get started.

Target is giving free shipping on Gallons of EM6000 for the rest of this month, and enter promo code NOV69 to increase the discount to 30%.

The only Target product I was disappointed in is their water-base shellac.