Let's Play a Game

So, most of us old timers may remember the game, Two Truths and a Lie. Usually used as an ice-breaker at parties

Let's play

They can either be themed based or random. Once someone guesses the lie, the owner will acknowledge and can start a new one if they choose.

Examples (sorry Larry):

Theme based:
  • I'm a flatworker
  • I'm a flatworker, Part deux
  • I sneak out at night and open my secret compartment, drag out my lathe and make pens all night that I sell on ebay

Random based:
  • I'm a flatworker
  • I ran for mayor
  • I have a dog named Charlie

So I guess I'll kick it off:
  • I was on a trip (rented Cessna) back from the Grand Canyon and we actually made the Long Beach, CA airport turn the lights on just for us to land (airport was closed due to high winds)
  • I turned down a bit part in the movie "A Boy and his Dog"
  • Believe it or not, I was in the semi-finals for the baton championship in 1972 that would have been held in the Long Beach arena. Of course, I didn't get in (well I did, but only to watch).

Any takers? :wave:

Wrong :) ...it was for the wedding scene...i turned it down because I didn't think I could come up with a wedding dress in two days (I was only 19). They filmed the movie at Ft. Irwin where I worked and used several base folks as extras. Every time I watch it I crack up at all the folks I knew. Got to meet Don Johnson, Maggie Smith and Jason Robarbs. Maybe a little known fact, but the original name of it was going to be "Rover Blood"

Well, the "skill" of baton twirling isn't me, but I still have my two batons from my amateur days. So, ding...ding...ding, you got it.

The landing at Long Beach was real. We tried to land at Hawthorne, but the winds were very violent out of the north (unusual for LA). We had no other choice but to contact Long Beach that had a "sort of" N-S runway...and guess what, they opened their airport just for us.

Anyone else willing to test their skills of deception? :stick::lurk:

yup i did jeff, taught advanced drafting in my senior year and welding in metal shop 11th and 12th grade i taught the jr high kids ... annnnch

actually went to college to be a teacher in industrial arts but other responsibilties and lack of cash got in the way to finish:)

Last edited:
ancch you wrong to steve:) it was in limbo at my birth and i had a pair of baby shoes bronsed that had it on the plaque, dad came and it got changed,, would have to ask mom actually how it all worked out.. but my dads name is wendall so that was where it was coming from and they wanted a girl,, back in the old days they wouldnt check ahead to see what the package had inside:)

yup i did jeff, taught advanced drafting in my senior year and welding in metal shop 11th and 12th grade i taught the jr high kids ... annnnch

actually went to college to be a teacher in industrial arts but other responsibilties and lack of cash got in the way to finish:)

Boy o Boy...you would have made a great teacher Larry...and I woulda wanted you as my teacher too!!

Let's see...

1. I am a high school dropout.

2. I got a "B" grade on the final exam in my college Engineering 101 class.

3. Although I was a music teacher, I flunked out of the music program in college.

Dunno why they're all school-related. Maybe it's because I've already shared most of the other tall tales of my life here in the past. :rolleyes:

I'm going for 2. One might (rightly) leap to conclude 1. since you have two references to college, would imply you didn't drop out of high school. And that may be true, but you could have gone back, you could have gotten a GED (OK my mind is suspicious of everything).

It's purely a guess.