Kreg Featherboard Question

I apologize in advance if this is a stupid question, but I just do not understand this thing.

I bought a Kreg Featherboard. It's 2 parts, like a double-decker.

Here is all the hardware:

kreg1.jpg

There are NO instructions. Now I understand that the t-bolt goes through it, and the handle screw onto the t-bolt. I understand that you use the short t-bolt for one board and the longer one for 2 stacked featherboards.

What I don't understand is what is all the other hardware for? How does it stay in the miter slot? If I put the bolt through the rectangular piece it doesn't grip anything in the miter slot....the miter slot *is* a t-slot---there's a slight lip there. Can someone explain this to me please?

kreg2.jpg

kreg3.jpg

Looking at picture #2, once screw pressure is applied to the base plastic, it should expand. When the expansion takes place, it will "grow" to expand in your T slot, there by making a tight fit.

The round black pieces are spacers. Use as needed when stacking. The flat washers go immediately under the knobs. As you tighten the knob, the piece in the miter slot expands and holds the featherboard in place. The other issue is how much pressure to place against the work piece. It is easy to apply too much pressure, making pushing the piece through the cut hazardous. Place as much as you would if you were using your hands, and no more. Hope this helps.