dado set NEW questions please

I would recommend the 8" set over the 6" set if you can afford it and your saw can handle it for two reasons - 1) The larger diameter provides more cutting teeth and 2) Due to the larger radius the teeth are cutting at a higher speed.

Cheers,

I just want to see what it's like......no commitments.....just want to see......:thumb:

That's what they all say. :whistling:

I see Drew mentioned the cookies. We also have t-shirts.

darkside_babydoll.jpg

As I was wandering around last night at 4AM I had a revolting thought! That dado set is not going to fit through my cross-cut sled! So now I guess I need ANOTHER sled, right? :bang: :coffee: :bonkers: :pullhair: :tantrum:

And it's also not going to fit through my zero clearance plate! Will it fit through the factory issued plate? Or do I have to make another plate too?

As I was wandering around last night at 4AM I had a revolting thought! That dado set is not going to fit through my cross-cut sled! So now I guess I need ANOTHER sled, right? :bang: :coffee: :bonkers: :pullhair: :tantrum:

And it's also not going to fit through my zero clearance plate! Will it fit through the factory issued plate? Or do I have to make another plate too?
Hello Cynthia; I suspect the answer to all of your questions is a big fat YES!

Cynthia.....Woodsmith had plans for an adjustable width cross cut sled IIRC. That would help eliminate chipout regardless of the size of the dadoes being cut.

cynthia, dont make a new crosscut sled until you need one.
Dont fill your space up with sleds and jigs until you need to use them.
YOu can cut accurately on your mitre saw, and if you need to trim down a table top, you made a track saw guide, that will be very accurate and trust me, trying to manuever a large tabletop on a cross cut sled is tough.
You can make the sled anytime, best to wait till you need it to see how large you want to go.
Like me, you are working out of a garage space, and space in the future will become very valuable.
Buy a tablesaw plate, cut your dado plate, will take you all of 5 minutes, just get started and dont sweat all the little details until you come across them.

Listen to Allen Cynthia!

Start making sawdust by working on your projects and you will find out what you really need to make jig wise if anything at all.

Don't spend alot of time on that first crosscut sled whenever you do finally make it cause you will find weaknesses with it and end up making a new and improved one.

If you lived closer I would just give you my cross cut sled as I no longer use it anymore and it's just collecting dust.

I just want to see what it's like......no commitments.....just want to see......:thumb:

<<< Read with an over-the-top mad scientist sort of a flair >>>

HA-ha-ha-ha-haaaaa. No Commitment!?! You FOOL! Resistance is FUTILE. You WILL be assimilated.

<<< Read with the angelic voice of reason (harps being plucked in the background and all) >>>

Turn thee away from the dark recesses of immediate gratification. That path leads only to financial ruin and eternal damnation. Be not blinded by the need for yet one more special tool, one more type of special wax; embrace the tree in its natural irregular circular form. Concentricity breeds madness . . . .

<<< Harps continue, fading and overtaken by the sounds of soft breezes >>>

Glenn you killing me, i am laughing both at your joke and myself after those words so much so that i have stomach ache. lol :)

Carry on Cynthia we all walk these roads even after good advice :) Somehow our brain persuades us that it wont happen to me because...... but inevitably it happens.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk