Cooking Venison

Old school way: Canning NO WILD TASTE.

Cut meat into 3/4 chunks. Use no tallow/ anything with a white color. All you want is pure red meat. Now, brown the meat to cook out all the blood. Get you some jars and place the cooked meat on those jars. Add a touch of salt and pepper, fill jar to top of neck with water. Pressure cook at 15 lbs for 50 minutes. Set on shelf and open and enjoy at later date when you are hungry. Add a little corn starch to make some gravy. Yum, yum.

ask tom, he knows how to cook it and eat it:) i cook it like beef, have had it canned and thats good too. the key is to not over cook it,, it get dry fast i use olive oil for frying or grill it.. the first thing to cause bad taste in wild game is the way it was taken care of proir..to the stove or the frezer..

I read a story once about a man that bestowed the taste of his beef over venison. The hunter stated something like, let it get chased, eventually shot, gutted and drug through the woods, hung and eventually processed and see how your beef tastes then. There is so much merit to the taste coming from the handling of the deer once it is down. Food the deer fed on also contributes greatly to the taste. Deer from the North tasted piney/minty from eating pine trees. Our deer around hear are fat from eating the best corn they can find. We grind ours with pork to make sausage, we cut ours into roasts and use them in the crock pot with veggies, we grill the loins (cut butterfly style) on the grill. We don't grind and make hamburgers per say. We grind a lot and use it in meatloaf, chili, spaghetti and those types of dishes. Venison generally lacks the fat content to hold it in a patty form to eat as a hamburger. With all of that said. as Larry stated, it burns easily due to being so lean. Keep water or oil in the pan to keep it from sticking/burning and no, it doesn't taste like chicken!!!

I've been cook, grilling , crock potting and frying venison for 30 years.
I like the stew in a crock pot but I love grilling. The deer we got are feed the best food back yard high end nursery stock. LOL
For grill'en I cut 1" thick slices mix up a sauce 1/3rd virgin olive oil and 2/3rd BBQ sauce and bast it as it cooks. Venison cooks fast maybe 4=5 minutes on one side and 3-4 minutes on the other.

As already mentioned...proper field care is key to eliminating that gamey taste. Another thing I've found is aging helps. Like beef, if you can regulate the temperature, letting the meat age for 5-7 days breaks-down/releases the blood thoroughly, and IMO, immensely helps in the flavor dept. If you come across some gamey venison, do try the canning method..sure to please most anyone....marinades can work wonders as well in a pinch...when I was a kid, Dad & Grandpa used to soak it overnight in milk.

I usually like venison but my SIL shot a big buck last year and gave me some meat. I had to throw it out because it was the worst thing I ever ate. No matter how we cooked it it tasted way too gamey. Either it was a real old buck or it was not cared for properly in the field I guess :dunno:

I usually like venison but my SIL shot a big buck last year and gave me some meat. I had to throw it out because it was the worst thing I ever ate. No matter how we cooked it it tasted way too gamey. Either it was a real old buck or it was not cared for properly in the field I guess :dunno:
Bob that's what we jerk up, the hole deer.

I've never cooked venison, so can't answer, but my uncle gave me a couple of packages of elk when I lived in CA... the ground meat I made spaghetti for the kids... they loved it and my daughter actually ate some of it... she's been a vegetarian since she was about 6, so I guess I did okay.... the roast I cooked was just short of shoe leather... must have messed that up. My uncle's brother in law always cooked his breaded and fried... remember it as being pretty tasty.

I cook venison about the same as I do most meats, on the webber. Direct heat for a sear then moved off the heat (charcoal only on one side of the grill) put a piece of wood for smoke (I use alder) put the cover on the grill and leave for 25 - 25 minutes. Done to medium/Medium rare every time. I also only season with salt and pepper:)

I love venison. The best way to cook it starts with the best way to hunt it ;) The best venison isn't from a 12 point buck, it's from the younger deer. Once that part of the task is completed, I flour it, then fry it in oil like you would fried chicken... good stuff.

Oh Tom's culinary skills folks, have to be tasted to be believed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! He is a chief!!!!!!

Yes sir that is true! I won't ever forget that meal he made for us after going through Death Valley on Tour DeWood 2010. http://familywoodworking.org/forums...begins(alot-of-pics-added&p=212297#post212297 Boy he really outdid himself that day!

attachment.php

Last edited: