Bookcase Build Thread in Allen's Honor Dec 8 update

Thanks to Allen, whose speed of production is inspiring, I'm going to focus and start producing. For anyone reading this who doesn't know me here, I'm a rookie; so you aren't going to learn anything about brilliant woodworking technique in this build thread. What I can promise is regular evening entertainment as you get to watch me bumble and fumble ;):rofl::p:eek::eek: and figure out a way even if I don't know what I'm doing. I have roughly 35 lf of bookcases to build and install in my front room.

I spent the past few days fooling with sleds and jigs. I realize, thanks to Allen again, that I need to set that stuff aside and get to work. All the jig stuff can wait. I don't need it instantly nor do I have room for it. I did manage to make a zero clearance throat plate (sort of :D) with the duct tape (hillbilly) levelling technique. The only thing I still have to do it put my little CS track back together. I had taken it apart and now I'm putting it back together. All the ply is cut, so it shouldn't take too long to get it together.

So here are today's photos.

My work table:
bookcasebuilddec7a.jpg

My table saw--please notice all the sawdust.
bookcasebuilddec7b.jpg

I've added a little radio/CD player for my enjoyment.
bookcasebuilddec7c.jpg

My only distraction over the next few days is I will have to cut some boards for the fence. We are finishing fencing in the property and the old fence on one side has lots of gaps at the bottom....can't let the dogs have the run of the place until those are closed up. But I already have the boards for that and already have the taper jig ready. So stay tuned, the fun is just beginning. I sincerely regret that my questions for the forum will slow since I'm in the shop all day and dog tired at night.

Last edited:
Have at it grasshopper, we are here for the entertainment and to offer assistance:thumb: by the way, I feel you will do just fine and am looking forward to your finished product:)

I feel honored you mentioned my name, but Im on the other side of what most think.
Im not a tool hoarder. I feel once you make the investment, you have to start making the tools earn the money you spent for them.
I feel the only way you will actually know what you need and what you dont need, is by using what you have and realizing what you are short on. When you need a shoulder plane, buy one. When you need a trim bit, buy one.
No reason to go to the store and buy 9 router bits and maybe never use one for 3 years.
And I dont build fast, I plan carefully. I try not to waste steps, as in how many steps from one saw to the other.
I bunch all the same cuts together, and try to bunch all the same pieces that need to be done on one machine all at one time, even if I have to build out of order.
This is why I tried to encourage you just to jump in and start. You have to feel alot of this stuff out to see how comfortable you are with your setup. You may hate where you put one machine. You wont know till you start using them and finding out what works best for you.
I know youve built some boxes and small things, but once you bang out your first piece of flatwork, well, its a nice fuzzy feeling youll get inside.
Take your time, and most important, always work safe.

Today's Update. Well, as predicted, I had to work on the fence today, so no bookcase work was accomplished. :eek: Our gate and the rest of the fence is now installed although the electric stuff for the gate isn't, but it's time to fill in the fence gaps.

The yard slopes, and the genius who built the cedar fence on one side thought it was okay to leave 1' gaps at the bottom. :rolleyes:

fence1.jpg

fence2.jpg

I wasn't sure how to handle it. At first I was planning to cut boards at an angle. But the gaps were so big and my boards were only 1 X 6, so I would have needed 2 boards each time anyway, so I figured I'd just do level boards and keep adding as necessary. Faster that way I thought. It looks ugly, but after we plant along the fence line eventually you won't see it. I did about 100' today. It was pretty cold for here--there was frost on the grass until noon. I wore insulated coveralls over my pyjamas :rofl: but it isn't fun work crawling along on your hands and knees. But, Allen, I made lots of sawdust. Next update will be over the weekend.

fence3.jpg

fence4.jpg

That oughta work. And once it weathers in a bit, with your plantings, should be nearly un-noticeable... :thumb:

There's just something wrong about woodworking in Pink Pajamas! :(
No ya got it all wrong Dan. No woodworking was done today. How ever some carpentry was and we all know that the dress code for that is pink PJ's:thumb::thumb::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:
I wear mine to work every day:thumb::rofl::rofl::rofl:
Now there is a mental image you can never get rid of :eek::eek: