Table saw safety - This Old House

Matt Ducar

Has anyone seen the most recent episode of TOH?

I'm used to seeing the guys on TV using their tools with the guards removed "for clarity". On this recent episode, Tom needed to cut a long tapered wedge out of some stock to trim out a door. So what does he do? He runs the stock through his tablesaw at an angle freehand :eek::eek::eek:

Using a table saw in this manner was the same thing that lead to the Ryobi lawsuit. I was appalled to see this practice endorsed by TOH.

Unfortunately, nothing new. The discussions of wanting to lynch those responsible for allowing footage of unsafe practices on TV and video are a recurring event. I too am saddened that 1.) Someone presenting to potential novices would not think before doing, and 2.) The editors/producers would allow the footage to appear out of ignorance or just because they feel free of responsibility by making some sort of disclaimer at the beginning of the show. Warnings didn't help Ryobi, a jury of our peers made their call and we all know what happened.

It led to the lawsuit but wasn't the driving force of the lawsuit.

I myself have done the same thing even and including full sheets of plywood.

There is more to cutting to using a power tool than understanding the safety rules and having all the proper guards in place.

There are sounds and vibrations a machine makes and if you don't understand what they are telling you then all the guards in the world aren't going to protect you.

And to me I would compare cutting freehand like that to using a skill saw.

How many people here really think about that knot they are about to cut thru if it's going to come loose or a split in the board that is going to pass by the blade and if a piece might come flying out because of it.

Last edited:
..... and 2.) The editors/producers would allow the footage to appear out of ignorance.....

Personally
, I think that sums it up completely. Ignorance can also go hand in hand with ego, over-confidence and/or
that 'just this one time' mentality....and I've got scar's to prove it.

You can practice safety all you like, but it's almost impossible to practice your reactions when the unforeseen happens. Why leave
chance the keys to your destiny?

Matt, did you contact TOH? If not, perhaps you should.

I did send them an e-mail -- which I fully expect they would ignore.

I was more surprised than anything else when I saw it. The cynic in me sees a sort of amusing irony in watching Tom put on his hearing protection & safety classes only to make a freehand cut on the table saw.

More likely than not cutting free hand on The TS is an every day event for the guy doing it. It is how ever a dangerous practice and I for one would never teach anyone to do such a thing. How ever it is an art form that I have mastered. After all as Allen said it is just a skill saw up side down and bolted to a table.