Oak Corner Table

Jim DeLaney

Staff member
I designed and built this corner table to fill a niche in my living room. It's patterned very loosely on a Shaker design I saw at Pleasant Hill last summer.

Construction is all mortise and tenon.

Dimensions are 24" high; long sides of the top are 20" X 20", and the short sides are 8½". Legs are inside tapered on the lower 16".

Finish is Transtint Medium Brown, followed by a Van Dyke Brown (from crystals) wash; then a couple coats of de-waxed garnet shellac, sanded to 220 and followed up with numerous (I didn't count) coats of General Finishes "Enduro" water-borne lacquer.

BTW, the cantilevered jewelry box on top of the table is one that I made in 2009. It got a blue ribbon at the Canfield, Ohio fair.DSCN0830 [800x600].jpgDSCN0829 [800x600].jpgDSCN0828 [800x600].jpgDSCN0827 [800x600].jpgDSCN0831 [800x600].jpg

Oh, yeah. That last picture is Shana, my shop helper. :)

...how do you like the enduro water base?

I really like it, Larry. I was gonna buy the Target stuff, but Jeff Jewitt told me that his preference has shifted from Target to the Enduro. Ad propaganda says the Enduro has full lacquer "burn-in" just like the solvent stuff, and that seems to be the case. Directions say to re-coat within six hours for burn-in, btw.

I used a gravity feed HLVP 'touch-up' gun with a 1.2mm tip, as recommended by Jeff, and sprayed the Enduro unthinned. It lays down really nice. BTW, I bought a new gun from Jeff, too, and it's a world better than the old (and cheap!) HF gun I'd been using for the past few years. I'd been pretty happy with the HF gun until I tried this one. I'll post more about the gun in a separate thread, soon.

there you go again spending my money:) so now i need to find a home for the one i have to get another better one:)

just as a side note,, did you spray some un toned on some uncolored wood to see the amber or non amber look?

there you go again spending my money:) so now i need to find a home for the one i have to get another better one:)

just as a side note,, did you spray some un toned on some uncolored wood to see the amber or non amber look?

Keep the one you've got, and put a smaller tip in it for spraying dyes or thin shellac. One just ain't enough! :rofl:

As for the Enduro - it's water clear. I have the amber additive, but haven't used it.