I can't enter text in Family Woodworking using either Windows XP or Windows Vista

Frank Pellow

With either of these two operating syatems, when I try to respond to a post or to start a new thread, the area into which one is supposed to key text flashes white very briefly then turns tan and the cursor will not go there. This has been the situation for at least a week.

An example screen shot is attached.

I have done all the "normal" things one does when something wired like this happens such as clearing the history log, rebooting the compter ...

This doesn't happen with Windows 7 and that is how I am able to submit this bug. But, my main computer has Windows Vista on it and I don't want to change it. So, unless this is fixed, you won't be hearing from me very much on Family Woodworking.

Typical window when I try to type -cursor won't go to normal typing area.jpg

Last edited:
Frank, I can confirm that I see an issue with XP and Explorer 7.

I'm going to guess you have the latest version of Explorer running on your Windows 7 machine.

A short term workaround would be to use another browser such as Firefox or Chrome, or to upgrade your explorer version on your other machines.

Thanks for bringing this to our attention,

Brent

I wonder if it is your carrier? not a guru on this type of thing but I am using XP Pro right now with no issues:dunno: Computers can't live with them can't live with out them:eek:

Pretty sure it's not OS related, but rather the version of Internet Explorer being used.

What would be super helpful is if the folks having trouble would let me know what browser and version you are using that is giving you the problem.

Thanks!

Darren and I have been talking about this. Looks like a combination of issues.

Working on a fix, but in the short term, if you use a newer version of IE, or Firefox or Chrome, you shouldn't have any issues...

We'll let you know when we have a final solution.

Just a security tip though, it's generally a good idea to keep your browser updated to make sure that any security issues have been fixed.

We've been doing some testing and it looks like this is fixed on the 4.1.8 version. I'll look at upgrading tonight after 9:00 central tonight. I've been testing on the test site and seems to fix it as well as a few other issues I've had reported. :wave:

Pretty sure it's not OS related, but rather the version of Internet Explorer being used.

What would be super helpful is if the folks having trouble would let me know what browser and version you are using that is giving you the problem.

Thanks!

I'm almost certain that I have the latest version of Internet Explorer intsalled on my machines that are running Windows Vista and Windows XP. But, try as I might :bang: asking for properties and help, I can't seem to get the information :huh: about just which version of Windows Explorer is being run on the machines.

I would appreciate instructions about how to obtain this information.

Frank,

Opening Windows Internet Explorer, clicking on Help and then selecting About Internet Explorer won't give you the information?

I'm almost certain that I have the latest version of Internet Explorer intsalled on my machines that are running Windows Vista and Windows XP. But, try as I might :bang: asking for properties and help, I can't seem to get the information :huh: about just which version of Windows Explorer is being run on the machines.

I would appreciate instructions about how to obtain this information.

Click on "Help" in IE, then select "about MSIE." That'll tell you what version you have.

The latest version for Vista is MSIE 9. For XP, I'm pretty sure that 9 won't work, so you'll need MSIE 8.

Looks like it will be around 11:00 central for the outage...still waiting for the backup to download, only about half way done. :wave:

Frank, Ken gave the right answer. Be sure you're looking at Internet explorer and not Window explorer, they are two different things.

Last edited:
Frank, You might try clicking on Tools, and making sure that there is not a check next to Compatibility View. If there is, click it to uncheck it then see if the editor window shows correctly.