Daisy Red Ryder b-b-gun replica that we made out of wood

Frank Pellow

My nine year grandson Ethan would like a b-b-gun, knows that his parents will not allow him to have one until he is 12.

In the interim, we decided to build one out of wood. He has spent the last two PD days off from school in my workshed with me working on a model built from pictures of a real Red Ryder that we found on the internet. We completed the job yesterday and here are two photos:

Wooden b-b gun -small.JPG

Ethan with wooden b-b gun -1 -small.JPG

I know very little about guns, but this one looks quite real to me. :chair:

Last edited:
The replica Daisy looks good, Frank, but what really caught my attention is how much Ethan has grown over the past few years. ;) :thumb:

The replica Daisy looks good, Frank, but what really caught my attention is how much Ethan has grown over the past few years. ;) :thumb:

Yes, he has changed a LOT since he first started working with me. Here is a photo taken when Ethan was not quite 2, where he is helping me to measure the location of the piers that were about to be poured for our woodworking shed:

Ethan helping Dad-dad measure pier location -2 -small.JPG

Frank that is cool. Maybe drill down into the barrel a little (1/4-1/2") and paint inside a contrasting color. Then when ever he is handling it and you get to see the barrel color you can remind him if it were real he would have pointed a real gun at you and the dire results of that if accidentally discharged. Neat project.

Thanks Jonathan.

We have already drilled down the barrel about 5 centimetres. But we painted the inside blalck too.

I told Ethsn that, if he ever pointer the gun at me, it would become firewood.

Thanks Jonathan.

We have already drilled down the barrel about 5 centimetres. But we painted the inside blalck too.

I told Ethsn that, if he ever pointer the gun at me, it would become firewood.

That is the role of a play gun. Learning barrel control. You will see down the barrel, you don't need to overreact, it is a teaching moment.