Pictures

Is there something we can do about the size limit on pictures? I have my camera set for the smallest it will take, 640x480 and it still will not let me upload them. The limit is 150 kb and I still come in over that.

I'm afraid we can't increase the size. Though an inconvenience, it would be preferred that you use a file resizer. I've been looking for a plugin for vbulletin that will do automatic resizing when you upload, but haven't found one yet. Even a small increase in file size increases our overall file size that we have to backup each week.

Most of the photos I upload are a max of 800 pixels in any direction. Some photos have enough detail that they are too large size-wise so I change the jpg compression to compensate for what the site allows; i.e., I normally use 90% compression but will change it to 80% and that usually takes care of it.

Bill brings up a key point about file size. It's not only the number of pixels, but the amount of compression that's done to the file. Your camera probably doesn't do any compression, but pretty much all the resizing software available does. Another thing that adds to the file size is the metadata that's included in the photo (but not seen on screen). This metadata includes all sorts of info about the photo: The brand and model of the camera, the f-stop, shutter speed, and other camera settings, the date the photo was taken, and in the case of cell phone photos, it might even show the GPS coordinates of the location where the photo was taken. All of this info adds to the file size. There are ways to remove all that info, but I'm not sure if Pixresizer does it or not. (I use IrfanView, and it does have the option to strip the metadata out of the photo.)

And I concur with Darren. Right now our backup size is pretty substantial, and it can take hours to download a copy of the backup for safekeeping. Steve, I'm guessing the forums where you don't run into file size restrictions are either not making backups of the forum, or they're leaving the backups on the same machine where the forum resides. (Sort of like leaving the only copy of your automobile registration and title inside the car. You're hosed if the car gets stolen or burns.)

I resize photos before posting. I use a JPEG format, and crop which reduces the useless stuff out of the photo, and makes it smaller.

MikesMasterLogo2.gif

movingplane1.gif

I always put my pics on the computer. I click the box so that they are deleted from the camera at the same time.

They always go to a file I made and named “Pictures to be Resized.”
If they are not to be resized, it does not matter. I rename them. Cut and paste where I want them.
Usually they are to be resized and I have PixResizer set to place the files in “Pictures to be resized” without me having to tell it to do so. All I do is adjust the largest size to be something under 800---790 for example. “Save” and that is it.

The pics then automatically go to the file I made, named “Pictures Resized.” If I have not already deleted the pics I don’t want, I do so at this time. Then I rename any I wish to rename. Then I do <ctrl>x to cut. Then I paste them wherever I want them.

They always come out the correct size for me to publish on FWW.

PixResizer is a free software that I have been using for several years---back before there was a FWW. It only takes 5 to 10 seconds. I highly recommend it. I know quite a few people on SMC and FWW use it.

Hope that helps. Any questions, just ask.

Enjoy,

JimB

I ran across this on Feb 21, 2012. It really is much simpler to use PixResizer than it sounds like. The first time will confuse you. The second time you will still be slow. The third time you learn that it is really fast and simple.

By the way, I really like all photos being downloaded into my file "Pics to be resized." Then they automatically go to "PicsResized." It is simple. The same procedure is always followed whether it is family pics, FWW pics, HowTo pics. I highlight and do <control> x on pictures I want to place in a file, something like WW\Lathe\turning tools. I go to that file and do my <control> v. Some pics may go to one file while others can go to other files. JimB

Last edited:
Alright, Lets see if you guys can keep from breaking this...I've figured out automatic resizing, no more having to do it before you attach. If you don't like the size or resolution, you can still do it yourselves though, it only resizes if it's over our limits.

This image was 2560x 1920 at 1.58MB...
2011-08-12 17.29.35.jpg

Personally I don't think this new software is all that great I'm finding I have to be doing more clicking for posting first I have to go to pics already posted then click that I want to up load another pic. If I remember right it seems when using smiles or to subscribe or for pics I have to click to go advanced. It seems to me that they are adding complications. Getting government control happy.

What we had was simple & easy to use. I find I'm reading but for the most part not posting especially pics. Or maybe I just don't understand how it's supposed to work. But I'm still happy to be here.

So I just had to try it out too Darren works great.

Attachments

• 107_0963.jpg
    107_0963.jpg
    122.8 KB · Views: 13
  • BC1.jpg
    BC1.jpg
    85 KB · Views: 13
  • BC4.jpg
    BC4.jpg
    123.5 KB · Views: 13
  • BC5.jpg
    BC5.jpg