Friday 12/16 Edition

Once again we have rolled into another weekend. Close to the big holiday, at least that is what Walmart tells us. So what is going on in your neighborhood?

Myself, not much. Going to try and sneak in some shop time. Only 3 more weeks of break left and lots to do.

Friday: Sanding and another topcoat on the credenza top. Mow the back yard. Yes, that's right! I mowed the front yesterday. One of the joys of living in the South!

Saturday: Some general errands with LOML, then out for dinner.

Sunday: The usual - I'll prepare brunch. Just a lazy day - I hope!!!

Then back to the shop on Monday.

Friday - complete as much as I can on the mate for the TV cabinet
Sat - All morning at church, kids Christmas program practice (I'm lights, sound, video) then some shop time in the afternoon
Sun - Church in the AM then rush off to the airport to meet Jan's plane. Sunday afternoon? Not telling!:eek::rofl:

SIL's birthday dinner tonight. Tomorrow I have about 6hrs of "me" time...that means shop time! Finishing up some christmas presents and then if I feel like it cleaning up a bit out there.

well i had the good fortune to put dave up last night as he heads for the state of iowa to get his son from college.. and today i will finish the finishing on a box for the quilter and get it inside this wknd.. after i find a home for the wooden box that came from ohio.. will add it to my trophy case:)

My parents came back for Xmas for the first time in about 10 years, so my wife is having a "girls night" with grandma and the nieces tonight to paint nails, watch movies, and bake. I'm heading over to hang out at my brothers with dad. May head down to my nephews to play some pool and such, but Dad is scheduled for rotators cup surgery in January, so he may not be up for it.

Saturday we're doing Xmas dinner at the steakhouse, then back to our place to open presents.

Sunday will probably be getting a door put on the office and painting some trim to install. Have a welding project I need to get done and may get the plow put on the tractor for when it finally comes time.

Friday: Finish up the 4 stained glass pains that I am making for four of my five grandchildren for Christmas.

Saturday Morning: Attend a synchronized swimming meet at the University of toronto that my 10 year old grandaughter Isla's team is participating in.

Saturday Afternoon and Evening: Work on Arts and Crafts magazine holder present for my daughter Kristel.

Sunday Morning and Afternoon: Go to the Christmas tree farm north of Toronto with family and friends to cut down trees followed by a pot-luck party where we all (about 35 of us spread over 4 generations) gather at one of the families homes for fun and friviolity.

Sunday Evening: Work on oak floor lamp that I am giving to Margaret (my wife) for Christmas

Tonight I plan to relax a bit, Saturday morning a little shop time to work on a couple more Christmas projects, Saturday afternoon off to a family Christmas get together at my sisters, Saturday night, company Christmas party in the AAA Sky Terrace at Nationwide Arena for the Blue Jackets game (quite possibly the worst team in the NHL this year) against Tampa Bay. Sunday I hope to be back out in the shop most of the afternoon after a morning at church.

Going to my daughters graduation from nursing school Saturday. She graduated college about 4 years ago with a degree in Spanish and taught school for about 3 years. Se decided to get her nursing degree, get a full time nursing job while going to school again to become a midwife. She is also expecting our 12th grandchild in April. Talk about a plate full :eek:

The rest of Saturday and on Sunday I'm finishing up a toy box for a grandson and will work on refinishing an old bureau.

Saturday, maybe an early morning visit with a ww friend from Ontario. Then, if all goes well, a trip to old town Lunenburg. Get a tree ( and some entertainment) from the Crouse brothers, lunch at our favourite pub, stroll around the shops, then head down to the shipyard and see how Bluenose is coming along: http://www.novascotiawebcams.com/south-shore/bluenose-ii.html
Winter might finally arrive Sunday. Supposed to get down to -15C. Good time to be in the shop figuring out that stalled Christmas project.
Enjoy!

:huh: would that be the same as 5 degrees F :eek:

Yup. That would be about right Don. I think -18C is 0 F. About -25C would be the coldest we'd ever get here, on a clear night in Jan or Feb. Colder than that starts to cause problems for fruit trees, highbush blueberries, grape vines and the like.
I like the cold. Things are supposed to be frozen solid by now, then covered with a foot of snow :D Of course, it helps if you have some big old iron to help deal with the snow part!:D It did get kind of tiresome when we used to use the old snow scoops. I love the smell of diesel in the morning!

It's been a very warm fall here. A beekeepr friend told me the other day they were having a lot of trouble with bears right into late November. It was so warm they wouldn't go to bed and were going around vandalising the hives instead!

Last edited:
Went and delivered the coffee table and two end tables that I repaired and refinished to my daugthers apartment and then stopped by my hardwood supplier to pick up a few sheets of veneer.

Saturday Morning: Attend a synchronized swimming meet at the University of toronto that my 10 year old grandaughter Isla's team is participating in.

Saturday Afternoon and Evening: Work on Arts and Crafts magazine holder present for my daughter Kristel.

Isla's team did well in their first meet:

Synchro Show Dec 2011 -The Blue Team -3.jpg Synchro Show Dec 2011 -The blue team's routine 5 -One arm in the air.JPG Synchro Show Dec 2011 -The blue team's routine 7 -Only one leg visible.JPG

I am making a bin similar to this one:

Frank with Cherry waste or magazine bin.jpg

but am not as far along as I would like. As of now, the chery parts are cut to size:

Arts and Crafts magazine or waste bin for Kristel 03 -All parts cut to size -small.JPG

Back from a few days in San Francisco. Did our annual eye exams as an excuse to have lunch with the West coast team from our work (very fun). We splurged that night at a wonderful contemporary Japanese cuisine restaurant (Ozumo). $100 bottle of Sake (in this place...that was the cheap stuff...I saw one on the list for $1500) and 6 dishes later...well, all I can say was that was the most we ever paid for a dinner for two...but after all these years...very worth it.

Nice weather is still prevailing, so I guess tomorrow is yard work before heavy winter cold sets in. Still waiting for precipitation...I'm thinking a pretty drought year.