How much do you pay for internet service?

Tom Baugues

This is getting out of hand. My INTERNET provider is Comcast. I just opened my most recent bill to see a notice that as of Jan. 1 2012 my (broadband) internet service is going up from $44.95 per month to $62.95 per month. :eek: I also use them for my TV service. They are the only option for cable service here in my area. I do have the option of satellite but have not checked into it yet....but plan to. We as a nation have now become so reliant on internet service that it is almost impossible to go with out it. I use it everyday to run my business and to talk with you fine folks here. The cost of this service is getting higher than the level of service they provide in my opinion. We are always losing service and our TV signal....well it just sucks! I received about $20.00 credit last month for lost service. I guess that is what I will have to do for now on....keep track of every day of lost service and call it in for credit.

Is my cost in line with the rest of you?

tom all i have is DSL threw our phone company, and it has two speeds available.. we have the fastest and i dont have the numbers of the speed but our phone bill runs 67 a month for the house and the shop with two lines.. and our tv is HD and not cable or sat,, and we loose signal to.. so it doesnt matter if you have the great cable or the regular tv its still poor sometimes.. the gov made the tv folks go digital and now they have control of that too i think:)

I have AT&T DSL and phone combo package. Bill runs about 56 a month for both. My DSL speed is very low, even youtube is not smooth. I tried to bump up the speed but they said that this is the only speed available in my area. I have been thinking of switching to time warner cable.

I have Fairpoint for phone and internet. the total bill with taxes is $62.00 for both. I had lots of problems with losing connection but Fairpoint finally figured it out. It's a 3mb service. The highest I can get out here.

No cable out here. I have Direct TV.

I have Cableone and have phone, internet and TV bundled. Full HD package for TV, but no movie channels, phone service is all the bells and whistles and no long distance charges anywhere in the US, and internet is 50 MBS down and 5 MPS up. Runs me about $128 per month.

Mine is bundled with HD Cable, Phone, and Internet. I think the internet is $40 - $50 per month, same with the unlimited phone. My wife works from home and we own another business, so most of the phone and internet cost is written off on taxes since that is mostly what it gets used for.

Our Internet service is $30 per month for 5Mbps down and 1Mbps up. That's been fast enough for normal surfing, but I expect to have to bump it up when we install a wireless blu-ray player this week. The next level of service is 12/2 for an additional $6/month.

I've got Charter and have phone, internet and TV bundled. Internet is $45 and phone is $30. I've got 20Mb download with 60Mb available for extra $$$ with 2 Mb upload. While Charter has raised their rates over the last few years it's still one of the best deals going for what I get. I've checked DSL and satelite and neither can provide what Charter does. While there are a lot of horror stories about Charter, I've not encountered any problems. We very rarely lose service and if we do it's usually back up within an hour and in the few occasions that it's been down longer I have automatically gotten a credit for the lost time. Most times when there is a loss it's due to a severed line somewhere due to an accident. With the cable I like that I can have TV in every room, which I have.

$96, for internet, phone with long distance and TV. The TV actually comes in through the internet. I have the smallest TV package they have, as I am right on the limit (8000 ft) that the signal can be pushed.

I have a DSL through the local phone company... I think our phone bill runs about $67 ++ per month.... we use DISH for TV and that's around the same level... but we also have two receivers that each handle 2 TV's... no Tivo or DVR. We'll loose service if there's a heavy rain to south/southeast of us... (the satelite faces south/southeast) ... The DSL line is pretty stable... can't say whether it's fast or slow, it just is and if it's working, well I have more time than money, so I'm satisfied.

We have Charter TV and Internet. Just the basic TV service and no premium channels. Internet is the Plus which is 30 mb down and up to 4 mb up. I will attest that I get that on my desktop and laptop running wifi according to speedtest.net. This is the latest test on the laptop. http://speedtest.net/result/1639952885.png Right now the service with modem and digital cable box rental is 69.00. They try to go up to 90+ on us and I have to call and gripe. They do have some pretty good packages on their website right now. I'm not interested in their phone service as I don't like to have all my communication eggs in one basket. We do lose service at times, sometimes for 6 hours +. More often internet than TV. Don't have the option of satellite as there are too many trees. Pull up Google maps on the satellite view, and you can't see the house. Even the latest one from last year that showed snow on the ground. So even with no leaves on the trees, the house is not visible. Great for the summer time though! Jim.

We have to use a broadband card from Verizon at $80/mo and $10 per gig over 10gb which happens every few months to the tune of $10-20. For that we get about 1MB down and .5MB up. The only other option is satellite which would be even worse.

Dsl for our exchange is 1/2 installed and stuck there because they keep diverting funds elsewhere. A $1M cable project is engineered but on indefinite hold until the economy improves.

Well Tom you could be doing worse and living in Canada. THis is one area where Canada could do with a more open regulation as far as competition is concerned. We still stuck in the cold war mentality in my view with limiting foreign ownership of our communications systems and requiring a percentage of local content on television.

The price we pay for television be it cable or satelite and home phone and internet is extortion levels. Until recently my bill for satelite with very limited options, 2 analog phone lines with local calling only included and internet dsl with supposedly 5mb download and 600kb upload was over $200 per month. And we use skype to make our international calls so its not call costs doing it and thats with no cell phones. BTW we also have limits now on how much internet bandwidth we get to use per month for each tier of service so we get skinned at every turn. There are only three primary carriers and even then they have to lease lines to each other.

But its an issue of infrastructure costs over vast distances and the regs that determine that rural cost of service needs to be somewhat subsidised by the carriers earnings in the sweet spots like the city.

Personally i could do with out everything except the internet. But kids???? and wife?