some simple flat work outa scrap

larry merlau

this was made outa scrap oak and some china birch ply and some paint grade ply plus one sheet of depot oak.. sometimes we think will save some dollars when we use less than top quality materials well.. i am done with china birch for anything that i want square and straight.. the partitions in this were a major pain in the neck to get close..and one of them had a 1/2" curve at the last 6".. i made it work and its hid pretty well but if i had used good ply i would have been done much quicker.. so its outa here and on to better things..randi's cutting table 002.jpgrandi's cutting table 001.jpg

:thumb::thumb::thumb:
And working with the cheap stuff aint no worse than working ruff lumber. Ruff lumber you got to plane straighten and rip first. China ply ya got the same thing except plane. :thumb::rofl::rofl:

I agree with you Larry, had one cabinet I had to spray down with water and sit bags of concrete on to straighten out for a week. I've since found a local supplier and paid the extra for regionally made products. Good looking cabinet, curious how you used to various spaces in it though and why the wheels are offset on one end?

good eyes guys:) the box is setting on a low cart for working on large stuff and moving it around in the finishing room.. this box is for quilt work, for cutting the pieces to size and shape for various quilt patterns,, and the spacing was determined by the storage boxes she uses. the rollers were put on after i got it inside the house..

Final box looks good Larry and I am sure Randi is pleased with it:) How was it to get it in and down to her quilting shop, I know it is heavy and a tight fit to even get it in the house...

it was tight, we scrapped the top and bottom going threw the back door, and then once it was in the basement i put on the rollers and the top.. she spent the rest of the evening filling it up..

Looks great Larry. How did you assemble the face frame? That's a real nice piece. Scratch one more off the honey-do list?

The drawers look great, and it certainly doesn't look like it's made of scrap, that's for sure.

Cabinet looks great Larry for being scrap.:thumb:

The only gripe I have about the china ply is it don't have a straight edge on any of the sides to work from.

actually this was all scrap guys,,the oak was left over form the hoosier sort, and the china ply was from the begining build of the shop cabs and bench,, the china ply can be cut straight but the built in crooks and the varied thicknesses are what get you..on the top o dadoed the trim to give me some reference point to hold it close to straight while being glued. on the floor section i had a real bad crook.. i had to screw a piece of oak and glue it in place then clamp that in position to get it to line up with what i need to be there..and this was less than a foot of distance.. kinda like darrens pic of the bolt in his osb ,,this was just major dip in the road!!! tom saw one of the crocks.. ken face frame is pocket screws and glued and clamped.. and one more time the "BowClamps" came threw for me. another good investment when working on larger pieces that you cant get a clamp to well..

Great looking piece and I'm sure she is loving it. I share your pain on using "inexpensive" materials. When all is said and done I find that I didn't save near enough to offset the waste factor and the misery of working with what was good enough.