New tool cabinet

Jeff Horton

Since there is a lack of woodworking posts I will share this. Not that interesting really, but at least it is something.....

I started yesterday cleaning up a bunch of rough cut oak to make my tool cabinet. The more I got into the project that more problems I could see. Working with solid wood meant I needed to allow for movement. The oak was heavy! I started to realize that I was setting myself up for a lot of problems down the road.

So this morning I did an about face, decided to be smart and I bought some plywood. When I left the shop I had the carcass put together, glued and clamped.

d2-1.jpg

Tomorrow I should be able to get the doors done, They will thick enough I store tools inside of them too. This is actually the easy part. What is going to take a lot of time is building all the brackets to hang all the tools inside!

Last edited:
Yesterday I got the doors built and started working on the brackets to hold the tools before I gave out. Today I went back to work on the brackets and trying to figure out how to arrange the tools.

To make it easier on myself I spread the the cabinet pieces around the shop and started gathering all my tools. That way I could arrange them, then rearrange, look at them and arrange it another way. :)

d3-1.jpg

Eventually I got to a point I could not come up with anything better so I started building brackets. Then I had to remove the tools and started to install the hinges.

Doors fit together fairly wall with no big surprises. Looks like I let one get a little out of square but it is a shop cabinet so I am sure not going let that nag at me.

d3-2.jpg

Once the hinges were installed I stood it up and started installing tools and adding a few more brackets. I think this is all I am going to do for now. I can add more tool and brackets as I find the need. I am sure there are some tools hidden around the shop too. I didn’t bother to drag out all my planes but they will lay on their side in the shelves.

d3-3.jpg

Tomorrow I will remove the tools, flip it over and install the cleat. Then I need to move some electrical outlets and install the cleat on the wall. I can hang the cabinet and start filling it for real

Then, back to Shad which you can see in this photo if you look close.

Last edited:
It's finished. Of course it will be modified for a long time to come but it's hangingon the wall and all the tools (I have found) are in it. I have some thing I am not sure where I want put yet but they will wait till latter. Time to rest for a couple of days and then move on making Shad right.

d4-1.jpg