Can't wait to get to the shop.

Chuck Ellis

Santa Clause brought me a great gift this year... actually my son was Santa Clause. He sent me a new tool for my shop - a Woodcut coring system.... can't wait to get out to the shop and try it out. I have some huge chunks of cherry that I'll be able to get a couple of bowls from and not waste so much wood.

Can't play today, we have a luncheon date with some friends, but I'll be out there tomorrow.

Pictures when it's set up.

I got the Woodcut set up yesterday.. still no pictures yet.. to find that the tool rest post is about an inch or inch and half too long.:(.. now I have to find a way to cut off a 1 inch piece of steel.:huh:.. don't think I have any tools that will cut it.:(

check with your neighbors chuck, over a cup of coffee:)

If the one neighbor up the street that had a auto repair behind his house, were still alive, maybe... the rest not so much...

I have one of those new Rockler saw that had a metal blade for the saw... it took about 25 or so minutes to cut through, but we accomplished it with the Rockler saw... might have gone faster, but the short end of the bar kept getting too hot to hold by hand... even with a leather glove had to stop once and let it cool.

The bowl corer works like a charm... not quite as smooth as the video, but I'm thinking I have a small learning curve and some wearing in of some parts... gonna be a valuable tool for my bowl making. Should save a lot of wasted shavings.

An update on my new toy... I already broke it.
The Woodcut Bowl Save is really easy to work with and does a great job of coring bowls... I did run into a small glitch in mine... the slide plate that holds the cutters and handle slides over the top of the base plate through a series of tabs that are folded over on the base plate. The slide plate slides under the tabs.... evidently there was a burr on one of my tabs and it bound the slide plate which is a black cast metal... think it's an aluminum alloy of some sort... when I jiggled the handle and press back on it to free the bind, it gave suddenly and swung the slide plate back against the spinning wood blank... sheered the slide plate off in a line from the pivot bolt straight along the edge of the cutter blade clamp....

I called Woodturners catalog to see if they had a new part... figured since I broke it, I'd buy a new part... they said no parts, but since it was brand new and maybe defective they would replace it for me... it's on it way back to them, should have a new one back within a week or so.

Sorry to hear you had this mishap Chuck, but you had the good fortune that your son bought it from a company that stepped up when it counted. Kudus to them.
Now before you do something to the replacement make sure to get some pics or we will have to send the sheriff around and you already have one bad mark for breaking tools ;):) dont want another for no pics do ya;)

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk

This will keep me out of the picture police's jail

I got my new toy back yesterday... we had a meeting so didn't get to set it up until today...

Here are pictures... and a picture of my first bowl that I've cored with the new tool... it was a white oak blank... pretty dry and hard, so was a good test.
WDCUT_6.JPGWDCUT_0.JPGWDCUT_1.JPGWDCUT_2.JPGWDCUT_3.JPGWDCUT_4.JPGWDCUT_5.JPG