Barracuda CSC3000C Chuck

Greg Cook

I've been wanting a chuck for my Jet mini lathe. I checked out the ads on Amazon, Woodcraft and others, and the PSI Barracuda seemed like a good choice (http://www.amazon.com/PSI-Woodworki...3-3615057?ie=UTF8&s=hi&qid=1173370877&sr=8-5). A post by Bill Grumbine helped convince me (http://sawmillcreek.org/showpost.php?p=538550&postcount=3) So when Amazon put it on sale for $133.00, I ordered one. It arrived yesterday, and I'm impressed with it. I think for my needs, it will serve me well for quite a while.

As soon as my bandsaw blades come in from Highland Woodworking, I'll cut some blanks and give it a try.

Last edited:
You'll like it...especially at that price. :p

That's cheaper than PSI has ever sold it directly, AFAIK. It's $149 today, even at that price I'm tempted to pick up a second one.

Greg,

I know this thread is a few months old, but I just purchased this same chuck / kit from PSI directly. I paid the $169.95. I couldn't find the Amazon deal any longer, so it must have expired. :doh:

Stu & Vaughn have been waiting to see what else I will be spending my money on for turning stuff. Well, I hope this is it for a little while. I'm out of budget, and I can't work like the gub'mint, with deficit spending. :rolleyes:

I like this chuck. It looks like yours has the square end key, but they modified the chuck so the gear is now part of the key itself.

I looked at the Nova G chuck which Vaughn reccomended, and I looked at the Oneway Talon chuck, both for more money. Because PSI offerd the extra 3 sets of jaws, and the thread adaptor, I went with their deal. The other chucks look nearly identical but offer only one set of jaws each. I also found a set of flat jaws on the bay and got those for about 1/2 the catalog cost. They should arrive any day now.

NOW, I have no excuse for not turning something. I have a nice lathe, (I too have a 6 speed Jet mini, which I got locally for $100.) I've had my turning chisels and now I have a good chuck. After I do a little more practicing, I'll turn something and post the pix on the forum for you folks to critique. ;)

Aloha, Tony

Last edited:
Congrats, Tony. I think the Barracuda chuck, like several other PSI products, has a good amount of bang for the buck. Now you're about out of excuses though...time to turn something. ;)

Yup, and also time for pictures, which I completely forgot. (Too excited, I guess. But not as excited as Dick Parr. Man, is that a lathe or what? :eek:

mini lathe 006 (600 x 450).jpg :)

Yessir, I will be getting something chucked up and turned soon. I have a bunch of ideas and some wood. Now all I need is some time to concentrate on it. I'll start with small stuff, bottle stoppers, etc. I'll get to it. :D

Aloha, Tony

Last edited by a moderator:
Tony,

Congrats on the chuck!:thumb:

I ran a few hunks of wood in mine, then got into my home remodel, so I haven't done much with it since. Hopefully, when the house is done....

That does look like a good chuck, I wonder if the jaws from the Nova chucks will fit it, I've heard that some of those chucks you can swap jaws on, that would be great, heck I'd buy one if I could do that, sure would be neat!

I really need a bigger chuck, the Nova G3 is good, but from some of the larger bowls I have, I really do need to move up in size of chucks.

Cheers!

Thanks Vaughn, Bernie, Stu & Greg. I promise I will use it dilligently.

I am going to have to check out the compatibility of the jaws Stu. I will take a jaw from this chuck down to my local Woodcraft store and compare. The guys there like me and I get quite a bit of help from them, even though I don't buy all that much from them. I was wondering about the issue myself even before I bought the chuck. I will report later.

I'm also going to take a close look at the Nova and Oneway chucks to see just how close they are to this PSI chuck. I'd almost be willing to bet they are all made in the same plant, unfortunately, for some of us, in China. Let's hope this is one of the products from there that is better than expected.

Aloha, Tony

you can get it cheaper right now

Here is how to get it cheaper from Amazon:

Purchase this "power tool link to the sander:" for $12.66
that qualifies you for a "power tool accessory 20% discount"
And if it is over $100 you get a $15 dollar discount
Plus you get a 20% on the power tool using code SAVEXTRA at checkout. If you live in a state that is not charged sales tax, your total would be approx $114 and that includes the sander.

link to the chuck:

should come out to something similar to this:
Items: $162.26
Shipping & Handling: $13.81
Super Saver Discount: -$13.81
Promotion Applied: -$29.92
Save 20% Discount: -$2.53
Promotion Applied: -$15.00

Total Before Tax: $114.81
Estimated Tax: $8.09
Total: $122.90

That is about the best price you will find on this chuck.
Oh yea, don't forget to select the "super saver shipping" to qualify for the free shipping.

John

John,

Thanks for the info, but, I got it too late. I already have the chuck on my lathe. I sure wish I had that info before I ordered from PSI directly. :dunno: But I'm sure it will help others who find this chuck is a good one.

I guess I'm not a very good shopper, just more of an impulse buyer on some stuff. (My wife tries to steer me straight, Chinese girl, you know. :rofl:)

Now it's on to turning some pieces. "Bring on the wood".

Aloha, Tony

Sorry Tony, I did not figure it out until this morning. I have been watching it for months to go down in price and just happened upon the power tool bonus on another forum. Just so happens it works on several items that are accessories including this Barracuda Chuck Set.

John