What happened to the Delta 46-460 lathe?

Tom Baugues

A family member asked me this weekend for a lathe recommendation as his first lathe. I told him I have not shopped for a lathe in a while so I will check it out. I wanted to send him a link to a Delta 46-460 varible speed model but when I went to the Delta site the only lathe they list is a 46-455 5-speed model. Does anyone know if the varible speed model has been discontinued? I still see it for sale at Woodcraft and Rockler but not on Deltas website. Delta now only has one lathe??? I think he wants to try his hand at a few small items (pens, bottle stoppers and maybe smaller bowls). Can someone help me with the current market on this?

Last edited:
Has anyone encountered problems with the tailstock or quill on the 46-460. Mine has been extremely difficult to operate for the past few months and today the quill came out of the backside of the tailstock. Went to the Delta site and found that both of these items are on backorder until Feb '12, makes me wonder if there is a problem and that they should be warranting these items.